Blog Research Question #1

I'm doing some research for my blog. I was doing some reading about how the meaning of certain terms are subjective to those who are using or hearing them and a number of examples were given. This inspired me to create a blog around the subject, in order to do so I need to have examples from different walks of life & belief systems... SO, I would be much appreciative if you would be willing to answer & help me out...

What is YOUR DEFINITION of a WITCH?
What Belief or Religious category do YOU fall in to?

**Please note I don't mean for this to be a debate, if you don't agree with someone elses definition please keep in mind this is solely for the purpose of gathering a broad view of opinions**

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly my first though when I hear witch is of the witches in Macbeth conjuring apparitions and making prophesies. I know that's not right but it's my first thought. I know they don't really go around in pointy hats and fly on broom sticks though.

I consider myself a Christian (no denominational affiliation)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Pagan,Wiccan
    I'm Agnostic

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• A witch is someone who practices a pagan type faith.
    I'm Byzantine Catholic.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Honestly, even though I know better, my mind always goes back to the Salem Witch Trials. Some one who is most likely poor, wrongfully asscused of "witchcraft" such as casting spells, etc.
    I am Atheist.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My definition of a witch is someone who does spell work/uses magic.
    I am no particular religion, but incorporate eastern philosophies into my spiritual practices.

Chniamli

Answer by Chniamli at 4:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Witch: One who practices the craft, regardless of religious beliefs
    I am a Kemetic Orthodox witch
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• What is YOUR DEFINITION of a WITCH? A witch is someone who does spells and uses herbs and other elements to affect issues in their or other peoples lives.
    What Belief or Religious category do YOU fall in to? I am an Eccletic Pagan.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Depends on context: In real life, my first thought is Pagan/Wiccan. If my kid asks me what a witch is immediately after watching Scooby Doo, I think of the stereotypical evil witch with the pointy had and the warty nose and the broomstick.

I practice Buddhism.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Witch once again can have multiple definitions. I feel in today's world it comes from the Wiccan side of things. But in my opinion anyone who prays is a witch. asking guidance from a spiritual being is considered ritualistic and can 'define' you as a witch. Even Christians do witch like practices by doing rituals by taking communion, incense, candles, prayer, etc.
    I don't define myself as a witch though.
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I define witch as someone who pratices magick. If I have to pick a title, I'd say I fall inot the category of Pagan...but, I don't really like titles, lol.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010