Blog Research Question #3

I'm doing some research for my blog. I was doing some reading about how the meaning of certain terms are subjective to those who are using or hearing them and a number of examples were given. This inspired me to create a blog around the subject, in order to do so I need to have examples from different walks of life & belief systems... SO, I would be much appreciative if you would be willing to answer & help me out...

What is YOUR DEFINITION of a CHRISTIAN & CHRISTIANITY?
What Belief or Religious category do YOU fall in to?

**Please note I don't mean for this to be a debate, if you don't agree with someone elses definition please keep in mind this is solely for the purpose of gathering a broad view of opinions**

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• To me, a Christian is someone who believes Jesus is the Son of God & that he came to Earth in the form of man to be crucified for our sins and that he indeed was crucified, died, & 3 days later rose from the dead & ascended into Heaven. If you believe this, then to me, you are a "Christian".
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• A christian is someone who strives to be Christ like. A member of a mono-deitous faith that follows the teachings of Jesus Christ thought his Father, their singular God.

Christian
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• As for myself, I grew up Catholic but now I am somewhere on the fence. I no longer practice an "organized" religion. If I decided again to attend church I would go back to the Catholic church but as of now (and for the past 25 yrs), I choose not to be involved in an organized religion. I believe a person can be moral, spiritual & a general "good" human being without being tied to a certain religious group.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• A Christian is someone who believes and follows the Nicene Creed.
    I'm a Byzantine Catholic.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• A Christian is one who believes Jesus was the son of God.
    I am a Pagan
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Argh....my mouse is going click happy....AGAIN

I ment to add. A Christian believes that Jesus died for their sins.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• IMO, being a Christian means to be Christ-like, to make the conscious effort and take on the conscious responsibility/obligation to be like Jesus, to follow in his example in being compassionate, loving, kind, gracious, etc. Most accept that it also implies some sort of discipleship in terms of a teacher/disciple relationship, that it indicates “following” the example and teachings of Christ, and having him, in some way at the center or head (or other equivalent) of one's beliefs and one's relationship with God.

That would make a Christian someone who believes in the person of Jesus, the message of love, compassion, and humility shown through his life, the thought that he reveals to us the character of God, Who is love and compassion, and who believes that living by his teachings and following his example can bring us closer to God as well as our fellow man. (etc)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't believe that there is a set standard of belief or doctrine when it comes to meeting the above definition. Christian, in my opinion, doesn't imply an adherence to specific criterion of faith, but instead indicates a specific standard of heart, a criterion of love, if you will.

That would make Christianity, IMO, any faith that follows the message of Christ or works to emulate his nature. It would be the faith of anyone who is a Christian, an umbrella term for all of the different kinds of Christians, and there are many different strands and strains of Christianity out there. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Oh, and you know I'm a Christian Universalist, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• A Christian is a person that takes the bible as the true word of God and lives their life according to his commands.
    I am Atheist
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010