How can I help my 3 1/2 month old to poop?

My son has not had a good poopy diaper in two days. I can hear him grunting but then only passes gas. He is exclusively breastfed and I have not changed my diet. Any suggestions?

redtree5

Asked by redtree5 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal. My son used to go every 4– 5 days. He is not eating solids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It's perfectly normal for EBF babies to go days without pooping. Some poop once a week. Bothers us way more than it does them.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Here are a few things that helped with my son: Gas tablets or drops. warm baths. or rubbing their belly. without solids tho its normal to not go that much if your child is eating baby food or rice cereal try those things I mentioned. good luck :)
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It's normal for a breastfed baby to go that long without pooping. When it comes it may be huge. You don't need to do anything. If you want you can give your baby a massage. I wouldn't recommend anything by mouth, you don't want to change the normal microbes in your infant's digestive track.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Give LO a clockwise massage on his belly.

Stimulating the muscles in his intestines to move in the right direction sometimes helps them get going.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The ladies above have great ideas... also try bicycling his legs, that helped with my son :)
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 4:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You'll be happy to find out that it IS normal for EBF babies to go up to 2-3 weeks without a bowel movement as long as it's not dry, hard or pellet like when he DOES go.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Totally normal. Sometimes they will go for 10 days or longer. As long as the poop isn't hard and painful when it comes out, he is fine.
    ToddlerBrain82

Answer by ToddlerBrain82 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Karo isn't recommended for infants. They state this on their website. There is a risk, however slight, of botulism poisioning, (like with honey). The recommendation of Karo for constipation is outdated, and constipation in infants isn't defined by lack of bowel movements, but but dry, hard, pellet/pebble like stools.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You can give him a little water or 50/50 apple juice/water. The ladies above are right, no poop for a few days CAN BE normal for SOME breastfed babies, but not always. Sometimes they just need a little more liquid in their system to get things moving. If your LO hits day 5 with no poop, call your pediatrician, they will want to check and make sure there isn't a blockage or anything. And gas drops are actually constipating, they will make it worse not better.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2010