Making flower clips

Looking to start making some hair items for my daughter, but wondering where is a good place to get gerbera daisy heads where I don't have to buy in bulk? Planning on using them with headbands or on crochet hats. We don't have any craft stores around here, nor do we have dollar stores. And yes, I'm looking for the ones made out of silk.

It's hard to tell if the ones I am going to purchase are wired all the way through or if I can pull the stem off. Yes there is a difference between the two! I need the correct ones!

I need this kind:
http://thefrugalgirls.com/2010/08/how-to-make-cute-flower-headbands-for-babies-and-little-girls.html

Also, what other kinds of flowers have you used to make these?

Please only link sites if you've personally used them.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I've found that the wired flowers can be taken apart, wire removed, and sewn back together to beautiful effect. Many sellers of bows will sell gerbera daisies very cheap, or you can stack petals yourself to make it yourself.
    momto1plus2b

Answer by momto1plus2b at 3:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• That is true, and I've purchased probably close to 200.00 worth of hair items for my daughter. However, this is one way I can cut back spending and also get out this desire to be creative =).

I can't say I am handy with sewing. I have had arthritis in my hands for about 5 years now. Is it something I can glue together with a hot glue gun?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If there are no Fabric or Craft stores close to you, try the sewing/notions dept at Walmart. Sometimes other general stores (like Target) will have small clusters of artificial flowers too. If they are wired together, you can still cut the petal sections away and hot glue or sew them to your project. Hope this helps. Have Fun! :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You can look on Ebay. there are several sellers who sell them super cheap. Another site is http://www.dollardaisies.com . Take the plastic off the back, use hot glue to hold your layers of your flower together. If you put the plastic back on (helps hold shape), just clip the little stem off, and glue it to your clip or headband.
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 1:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2010