Why is appling to college so freaking difficult?!?!

Seriously, I called the college yesterday to ask about one of their programs, they tell me, registration begins tomorrow, (and ends today!!!) Yikes...so im running around my house like crazy trying to get this all figured out. All the offices closed at noon today and I cant get ahold of anyone...the next time the class starts up is in Jan, but fills up SUPER fast from what the counselor on the phone told me. Im nervious, I NEED to get into this program. It is only 16 weeks long, perfect timing, b/c I'll be finishing up the program right as we are about to PCS. Its my first time going to College and its just sooooooooo freaking hard getting started. :(

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you can't get in maybe you can find another school in your area that offers that program.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son is 18 and a Senior and has applied to 3 colleges all took way too long. Recommendation letters, SATS, grades, essays.....he was exhausted. We havent heard back yet from any........maybe next month.
    Massey2

Answer by Massey2 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• There is no other certified school close enough to me that offers the prgram I am trying to get into. California is so messed up in EVERYTHING they do, I cant believe we still have people living here. In CA they certify certian schools to be accepted state wide, like I am trying to get into phelbotomy, only some schools are allowed to offer the classes. Just so happens, there is one close to me! The others are too far. So if I want to work in CA I have to go to a CA cert. school. So dumb!
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Massey2---good luck!!! I never did go to any college, never even applied for a college until now. I am 24, this is pathetic, but it does take FOREVER and its such a long process...I think college needs a reform and BAD!
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I'm an enrollment counselor with a University. My question to you is would you consider taking classes online? If so, it might be the best option for you since you are ready to enrol now... The good thing about online classes is that it's year round, so you don't have to wait until January. If you do consider taking classes online be sure to ask about the school's accreditation. Most schools are accredited however, there are different levels of accreditation. Regional accredited is the HIGHEST level of accreditation. Schools like University of Phoenix, Strayer University, Bryant & Straton, Community Colleges are all on the highest level of accreditation. Schools like ECPI, ITT Tech, Bata Tech are not on the highest level and the credits are not transferable!
    dsbishop22

Answer by dsbishop22 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The University of Phoenix and other For-Profit colleges are a JOKE. No company ever takes a degree from them seriously and they're currently being investigated for fraudulent practices with their billing. http://blogs.abcnews.com/nightlinedailyline/2010/08/forprofit-colleges-receive-f-in-ethics.html

Not to mention, I imagine it would be pretty hard to get an online degree in phlebotomy since it's a pretty hands-on course. Don't you have to practice it to be able to do it? I certainly hope so.

Anyway, good luck to you, anikahaynes1, I hope you get accepted!!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 9:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree with mbdc. University of Phoenix and schools like it are a joke.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes, phlebotomy is a very hands on course, so yes it would be difficult to do it online. yikes! I called the school and talked to someone, not the counseling dept though, and they said that their spring scheduales and registration aren't up or open yet! WHAT THE HECK?!?!? Im so stressed, if i miss this dead line, i may not be able to do this where we move to!!!
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would never ever go to college!!!
    AnittaT

Answer by AnittaT at 9:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2010