What is your child's school policy for children with food allergies?

My dd has a severe nut allergy and will start pre-k next year. In our old district there was one nut free school that you could opt to send your child to or at my sons school they either sat at a different lunch table than other kids or had to eat in the school office. I have heard a lot recently about parent petitioning for more schools to become nut free.

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our school doesn't have a nut policy but works with each grade depending on the year (its a small private school.) My older kids were allowed to have peanut butter or whatever they wanted. I can tell you that by winter break they all knew each others allergies and medical issues by heart - so and so is allergic to peanuts, so and so to watermelon, etc…

My youngest is now in kindergarten with several kids who have moderate to severe peanut/nut allergies. The new policy is to have a nut free area and everything is seriously washed down after lunch. I discussed it with my son and out of consideration for the health of his friends he has decided to not have peanut butter for lunch. He understands it to be like if someone gave him a food that would trigger his epilepsy and he would never willingly to that to anyone.

I commend you for educating your child to where she can be proactive for herself.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Do you really want to trust your child with a severe allergy to a public school? We will be homeschooling my grandson that has peanut and other food allergies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• In my daughter's school, if she brings a peanut butter sandwich, she has to sit on the other end of the table than the kids with the allergy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Not entrusting your 5 yo child's life to a public school doesn't mean you are confining them to their house. Home schooling kids experience much more than kids that are confined to school. It's the best education a child can get. Colleges welcome homeschooled kids because of these facts. I would not trust any child with a medical condition that could kill them in minutes to a public school. Some public schools don't even have full time nurses. You are inexperienced so you don't know what it's like yet. You will educate others around her, wish you luck. There are moms on cm that brag they send peanut butter to school when they know they aren't supposed to just because no one is going to tell them what to do. Parents really aren't going to like it if you start causing problems and try to make her school peanut free. Life is different when your child has a life threatening medical condition.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughter is very well educated on her allergy. she knows that she is not allowed to eat anything that is not given to her by me or her dad without asking us first as well as not touch anyone elses food. She even knows to wipe down a seat in a public place before she sits there. I can not sheild her for her entire life. The best I can do is educate her and the others around her. She will go to public school, If i feel that she is not safe once she is there I will deal with the school as needed. But I don't feel an allergy should mean that she is confined to her house.
    foxracing43701

Comment by foxracing43701 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• and this is exactly why my daughter knows so much about her allergy, just because I plan to send her to a public school does not mean that I am inexperienced. She has gone to day care, babysitting co-ops, playgroups, and tons of public functions. It is a choice that I have made for my daughter. Even if I were able to home school my children i would not unless we were in a terrible school district and they were not learning anything. I feel this is the correct decision for MY family.
    I do not see why people like you insist on telling parents they are making the wrong choices for their own children just because it is not the choice you would have made. Had my question asked your opinion on weather I should send her to school your opinion would have been appreciated but that was not my question. Then next time you see a question of mine and it is not asking for your opinion please move on and do not answer.
    foxracing43701

Comment by foxracing43701 (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2010