Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about getting my SS tested/monitored for ADD/ADHD?

My husband thinks that my SS has ADD. While I don't agree, I was wondering what I could do to get him tested or monitored. His teacher doesn't think there is a problem either, but my husband's ADD went unchecked until he was in 7th grade.


Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Kids' Health

Level 14 (1,498 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • The best way to start is getting your child's doctor to refer you all to a peidiatric psychiatrist and therapist. Piediatricians can diagnose - but they tend to miss a lot of things. They are general practice doctors for children and sometimes children need to see a specialist too. A good psychiatrist will rule out if it is anxiety, depression, adjustment disorder, stress....all those things can look like ADHD and they have the same symptoms. It may take some time to correctly find out what is going on. If it is ADHD and you decide medication: don't feel guilty. Just like any other medical disorder, ADHD is a medical diagnosis and medicine can be a huge help in treatment.

    Answer by frogdawg at 12:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

  • My brother had adhd and they set up his testing through the school.

    Answer by bxbsmommy at 5:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

  • My son is 8 and has had ADHD for 3 years now, like you we did not want our son on meds and refused all through kindergarten. My husband and I cried of thinking about the fact that our son needs to be on meds for his behavior, however it is the best thing that we have done for him as far as school goes. He is able to focus and his grades are so much better. We went to his doctor and she tested him and will send a paper to the school that they can fill out and take back to the doc as well. If you think your son as ADHD then get him checked out. It's not going to hurt anyone to hear the doc say no he doesn't infact wouldn't that we a sigh of relief, almost like a burdin has been lifted off your shoulders.

    Answer by determind at 1:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008