Why do we provide universal health care for prisoners but not for other Americans?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 3:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Last time I checked, Americans with low incomes were able to qualify for low cost health insurance programs. Those that don't qualify for low income insurance should look into obtaining insurance through their employers.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Very good question!
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 3:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

what about those that are over income for medicare, but can't afford insuance through their employer, or if their employer doesn't offer coverage?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't think they should get half the care they DO receive. For the most part~The states are in charge of most prisoners in the US and the states are responsible for their healthcare system. (Just Arnold~ he begged the Federal Govt to take over health care in CA state prisons because the state is B R O K E)...So000000, take up the issue with your state not Federal Government... UHC is Federal Health Care... Prisoners pay a co-pay (minimal) Prisons are so over crowded, they many times have to wait a VERY long time to be seen. Then when they are seen, they are not guaranteed treatment (medicine, etc)... Prisoners treatment is also dependnet on the type of facility they are in? Should we do that with a UHC system in our country?? Rate the level of care based on where you live?? Is that the UHC you are wanting?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Why should the United States have to provide health insurance for those that "can't afford it"? Honestly, you should find the money to afford it. Health insurance is a must have. Why should the government have to make sure everyone is responsible for their own health?! That's a ridiculous expectation... as if this country isn't screwed with more debt than it could ever pay back, lets start giving everyone hand outs, Sounds like a great idea to me... NOT!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• yeah... my husband worked at a job which did not offer health insurance. to cover him under my health insurance would have cost literally half my paycheck. we made together about $1,000 a year too much (even with both of us making low salaries) for the low income county program. my husband really needs medical care. "thank goodness" we both lost our jobs so we can get medical care now... how ridiculous is that?? this is a real problem... i wish people would wake up. those of you who have never been uninsured or underinsured, particularly your children, consider yourselves lucky. you just have no idea how many people this affects and how it affects you right now - you are paying for this no less than prison healthcare, and you and your family's health is put in jeopardy by people's inability to obtain regular medical care.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It's actually very simple. Because if we don't provide prisoners healthcare and they die without it, their families sue. While in the custody of the state (or federal government) people are to be treated "humanly" and to deny them healthcare falls under inhumane treatment. Now, do I agree with it? No. I think if we are going to provide them healthcare we should be using these assholes on death-row as medical Ginny pigs and actually putting them to good use saving lives... But that's me. On the other hand, I don't want Universal Healthcare for myself or my family either I prefer to go cash pay... SO there you go...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• until health care is considered a right and is not mainly a for-profit business, it will not be affordable to many, many people. any low-cost insurance that a low-income person can afford is going to not really cover very much so it's a waste of money. also, so many people are ignorant of the fact that you are already paying for people without insurance (and i'm not talking about those with medicaid etc.) and you are paying emergency room prices for it, you are paying for it in terms of children's health care for people who might have actually used birth control if they had access to it on a regular basis, people with communicable diseases who cannot access healthcare are spreading them in your community, affecting your personal health care spending. universal health care simply shifts the costs to more appropriate settings, lower cost services, and allows higher quality of life for the entire population overall.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• lol it's "funny" how prisoners but not free citizens have a right to humane treatment that includes healthcare. although i hear ya on using lifetime prisoners for testing (ok i may not totally be on board with this if i think hard, but if think if you abuse your rights and become dependent on the prison system you should repay society in some form other than just living off it - whole other subject) - i think it's crazy that somehow that right has been in place for a long time while access to healthcare for law-abiding (or at least free) citizens has not. nuts.

especially in current economic times and the ridiculous cost of healthcare (prescriptions in particular) paying out of pocket just isn't an option for people. there are so many living paycheck to paycheck or even under less standards. i recently saw a headline that 1 in 7 americans live in the poverty level.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Is that the UHC you are wanting?

Answer by grlygrlz2 20 minutes ago
    ------------------------------------------------

No, i want to good kind...that other industrialized nations have.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010