What do we need to change so we raise our boys to be respectable,compassionate,AND respectful men?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 3:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Children learn by watching the adults in thier lives.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• To have a good male example (of respect, compassion and kindness) is most important, in my opinion.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 3:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We live the way we want them to live, if you have respect and compassion at home while they are growing up, this is how they will live too. Live and learn!

Answer by older at 3:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My sons are that. I know because I showed them how humans should be treated and I know I did a good job when my son held my hand when I found out I needed to go further then a mammogram.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Explain it to them and expect it from them. And never allow them to act differently. I taught and explained to my son. He is expected to act that way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I believe it is essential that boys be taught to take responsibility and not make excuses for their action.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Teach their Parents how to be respectable & compassionate adults. Children learn from example. When was the last time an adult at the Market, Mall or driving on the road was respectable & compassionate to you? That is why my Son has been taught since he could walk to say please & thank you and be polite to others in public. Most children today are just as nasty & pushy as their Parents display unfortunately.
    Anonymous

• I did raise my sons to be respectable, compassionate, & respectful. I used non-sexist child rearing methods and an authoritative style of parenting. I homeschooled them and in their early years they were around people that parented in similar ways. They are now 30, 27, and 22 and do well in the real world. They are seen as nice guys not wimps.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• A decent father

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Lead by exammple. Even the small things. Just by listening to me, my 2 year old son responds to strangers with kindness and respect. For example, when some one holds the door open for us, he now says "Thank you", when we leave a checkout he tells the cashier "have a nice day" and when asked how he is doing he always replies "Good, how are you?"
    I have never told him to do these things, he just watches and pays attention. So there is no doubt that when I stand up for some one or help some one in need, he will pick up on that too.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010