tips to get my son to poop in the potty?

my son is still refusing to poop in the potty. He did it once and he got praise from us and he was proud, but it hasnt happened since. He often hides in corners or rooms and by the time we take him to the bathroom the deed has been done. And of course when we ask him he always says NO. Advice?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will when he's ready.

There is nothing you can do to force him and it doesn't sound like he's interested in incentives like candy or stickers.

Have you let him poop in his underware before? Many children choose to use the potty when they realize how gross it is to poop your pants.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I certainly don't tell him "yeah sure go ahead honey!" lol. He doesnt like the feeling when he poops in his underwear and wants to get changed asap...I dont think he quite knows the feeling or has the muscle control like he has the bladder control down. I did try sticker charts but it got old quick. I'm not rushing him or forcing him at all! Just looking for some tips! The training process has been child-led from the beginning :)
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have two ideas for you one from personal experience and the other from family experience.
    When I was potty training my youngest she did not want to use the potty for anything and would even run down the hall screaming “I’m wearing diapers for ever” I left her alone for the time being because I figured when she was ready we would work on it again, but once she was a little older she wanted to go to school and I explained to her that she had to be a big girl and learn to use the potty or she could not go to school. After a week she was potty trained and ready to go to school.

MisticDawn6

Answer by MisticDawn6 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Second is my sister in law has twins and when they where little they would poop their pants so she decided that she would make the girls wash their under ware in the bathroom sink by hand and show them how gross it really was when they would not go to the bather room in the potty or even at that wipe after they were done going. After them washing their under ware once they both understood that they needed to go to the bathroom when needed and she did not have any more trouble with them.
    MisticDawn6

Answer by MisticDawn6 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my daughter did this for a while dont worry it will pass
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I feel you! My daughter was this exact same way. It basically took a very watchful eye and watching for the signs of getting ready to go number 2. To be honest, you sound exactly like me about half a year ago! Even down to the child-led process! (except for having a boy) I did the sticker chart and everything but I ended up having to do a sticker book and doing it for EVERY time she went to the potty. 1 sticker for pee, 2 stickers for poop. It still took a while but it did help. I had her come with me to clean out her underwear and dump the poop in the toilet to show her 'this is where it goes' then had her help me clean out the underwear as well. She still has an occasional accident here and there but I know how you feel. I think it took about 1 or 2 months to get over it, so hang in there! It'll happen! You're doing great!
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 4:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2010