Is $250 a fair donation for the preacher that marries you?

The preacher who will be marrying us soon and has done our premarital counseling has not asked for a specific amount for the ceremony. He will be traveling approximately an hour and a half one way for the rehearsal and the ceremony, so a total of about 6 hours travel time between the two days. He is incredibly nice and is performing the ceremony for our second marriage, and has been meeting with us on Saturday mornings for our counseling since that is about the only time we have available for meetings with him. Is $250 fair? Or should it be more? We live in the southeast.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• how many saturdays has he met you? Who traveled on those saturdays?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would say more than fair.

Answer by older at 3:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes............I paid $150 but it was several years back
    Massey2

Answer by Massey2 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• that's fair. Is he staying to eat at the reception also?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Do what you can afford. 250 sounds fair.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I do not think that it should be relative to the amount of time. If that were the case, I would say he should get between $300 and $600. More importantly is what can you afford. Did you get your dress at the local thrift or pay $1500 for it. Is the reception $6 a person for a piece of cake and punch in the backyard or is it a meal with orchestra for $175 a person.
    If you can afford $250, than that is good. But if you have gone all out and are able to afford more please do. If you are broke, Maybe $100 is all you can afford.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• He did my friend's wedding and stayed for her reception, as well as bringing his wife with him who also stayed for the reception, so I would assume he would stay for ours as well. We've met, maybe half a dozen times, and he meets us at his church, which is about half way for both of us. Our sessions were usually over an hour long since we had to make the most of the times we could manage to get together.
    GrahamsMomAngel

Answer by GrahamsMomAngel at 4:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We're doing buffet-style reception and have been as frugal as possible with the entire thing. I want to give him fair compensation for his time and effort, but I don't want to put us in the hole to do so, KWIM?
    GrahamsMomAngel

Answer by GrahamsMomAngel at 4:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I also don't know why the question posted anon. Didn't mean to do that.
    GrahamsMomAngel

Answer by GrahamsMomAngel at 4:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would say that $250 is fair if that's what you can afford. But, if you are having an extravagant ceremony and reception that is rather expensive, I would up the donation personally. That is a lot of travel time for your preacher to make. Not to mention gas prices.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010