If you have a speech delay child, what teaching tips have you done that helped your child out.

My son is almost 4 and even though he is slowly getting a speech it's slow going. He's in his 2nd year of preschool and he sees two speech therapist. Also going to start extended class for his autisim. I'm hoping that will be a big help. But I'm always willing to try new stuff.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We sped up words that were hard to say and he said them quickly and when he caught on he could slow down.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son has a speech delayment as well. We read him books and say words periodically throughout the day when we're home with him. He also like watching Dora and Diego and we've noticed he'll say words from those cartoons when they repeat words. DS also goes to preschool and occasionaly needs tubes in his ears and it helps.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Have you tried the "Signing Time" videos? Not only do they help children pick up on new words faster (visual, audio, manual repetition), but they have other benefits like assisting with nonverbal communication and fewer tantrums. My little brother who was very delayed once acted out an entire scene for us to explain something. My nephew was just learning to cruise and burst into tears. My mom and I asked Tyler, my brother who was 2 at the time, what happened. He signed "baby", imitated how the baby had tripped and hit his head on the piano bench, then signed "cry", all without saying a word. Now he's 4 and you can't get him to be quiet.
    KalimanzMamita

Answer by KalimanzMamita at 4:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My oldest had a Phonological Speech Disorder. The Speech Therapist gave us cards with words on them to have our daughter work on. So not only was she working with the ST at Childrens 3x a week she was working with me 5x a week.
    emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Repetition/Drill- Repeat, Repeat, Repeat! See it, Hear it, Do it/Say it! Other than being healed by God that's what worked for me. I was the one with the speech problem.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My 5 year old is behind on speech. We do flash cards, vsmile games, read books. She is in kindergarden and is a classroom for most the day and then a program called vogour and that seems to help. She has been learning in that class nurshey rhymes and she does pretty good with that. So cartoons like seseam street is good.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Kalimanz1 thank you I will try a DVD and see if that helps. He loves to sign so that might help. We does watch all those educational shows.
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The best thing I have found with the most success is working on line on speechtails.com. We love it! Give it a shot!!!! Good luck, Vikkile
    Vikkile

Answer by Vikkile at 8:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My DD is autistic and is non-verbal with few exceptions. I have begun to teach her signing. She is picking up quickly and has led to better communication. It has also taught her to verbalize a little bit. I wish you luck!
    brknangel

Answer by brknangel at 10:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2010