When, how and if at all What age did you discuss the birds and bee's with your son's and daughters?

emily1230

Asked by emily1230 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I had this conversation with my daughter when she was 9 years old. We began with changes she could expect with her own body such as physical changes as well as menses and associated symptoms. Looking back I think this was the best time possible because by age 10 1/2 she had her period and was quickly developing. You need to remember, if they learn it at home in a healthy manner then they will have a better jump on things once they are thrown into the "rumors" of such things in their day to day life. Kids are learning things and experiencing things way quicker these days than most would like to acknowledge.
    aim123

Answer by aim123 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I had this discussion with my oldest daughter last week and she is only nine. Now I know that might sound crazy but kids are learning a lot more at a young age now days. We were at the park and my four year old did nothing that did not look right when riding on a bouncy toy and I had told her to go play on something else, and my nine year old blushed and I asked her what she knew about a relationship between a man and a women and she told me more than I thought she would know so I asked her where she had heard about it and she told me that her friend where we use to live told her about it. I could not believe my ears my daughter was told about sex by her friend when they where seven years old. I told her that if she had any questions to ask me and not be ashamed of the topic. I think it’s good to talk to my kids about sex or anything else that could be bothering them.
    MisticDawn6

Answer by MisticDawn6 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My oldest was 7 when we started talking about it. I was pregnant and he asked where babies come from so we talked about it. I bought him a book about it and read it too him and asked if he had any questions. We have discussed it with him on many more occasions too. If he asks a question we do our best to answer truthfully and at a level he can comprehend.

I don't think it should be one big talk, but many to create an open dialogue.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My children are 3 & 4. We have learned all the body parts for boys and girls, including proper names and their purposes (sexual and non-sexual). Discussed sex (hetero and homosexual in nature), masturbation, the how to's and why's of each. Discussed "good and bad" touches, and who and when others should be permitted to touch you. The conversation so far has been rather general thus far, and in terms which they can understand, but as they age, the conversation will continue. We do not censor our own affection or attraction from the kids (of course we aren't having sex in front of them) and we hope to keep the channels of communication open as they grow...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• it was hard for me to ask her at first but then again my mom still will not talk to me about the birds and the bees.
    MisticDawn6

Answer by MisticDawn6 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I started when they were five talked about their bodies and moved on from there.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughter was eight. I bought her a book called "It's so Amazing" which covered everything from the where babies came from, to different types of relationships and families, to good touch/bad touch... Everything that needs to be covered was covered and the best part is, it is written in a language that children understand -- with cartoon images. It was a great book. Every so often, we read it over again.
    Jaymi6

Answer by Jaymi6 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

1. We started around 7 or 8 .Dad did the guys and I did our daughter.It took a year or so to cover it all because when they got uncomfortable or bored we would let it drop for the moment.The older ones continued to ask questions through h.s. and our younger ones still pop up with questions.Funny, our youngest eves dropped when he was 6.The next day a close friend calls to tell me our youngest was teaching sex ed in carpool line with proper terms.She knew this because her carpool had hopped in and asked her if she knew how babies where made and told her with her 4 year old there.She was not angry at all just thought I would want to know.We explained it is best to let mom and dads explain.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 9:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have been talking to my son about the birds and bees since he was in Kindergarten. This is not a one time conversation. It needs to be an ongoing converstaion starting at a young age and going from simple to more complex issues as the child matures. If you are waiting until your children are 13 or older, you are way too late. By this age, they have already had talks in health class. By 8th grade, the kids are learning about STD's, protection, pregnancy and what happens to the opposite sexes body during puberty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We have always talked about sexuality and have answered their questions as they came up. There was not "talk" it was all just learning as they grew up.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2010