Have you heard of the newest scam - cramming?

Crooks 'cram' phone bills with bogus charges
Scammers' modus operandi: Steal a little money from a lot of people
There are two ways a con artist can get rich: Steal a lot of money from a few people or steal a little money from a lot of people. Crammers work on volume. They bill telephone customers for small unauthorized amounts, sometimes as little as $2 or $3.

“These charges don’t leap off the page,” says Lois Greisman head of the Division of Marketing Practices at the Federal Trade Commission. “They’re banking on the fact that people are not scrupulous in reading their phone bills and if the amount is low enough, you’ll miss it.”

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• I keep an eye on my phone bill and it's been the same amount for over a year, if it changes and I don't recognize the charge I fight to get it removed.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I do not have a landline. I have cell phone and watch my bill closely every month.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• if we didn't get it from our phone company we fight them to have it taken off.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i watch my bills..... i dont have a land line as well
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 6:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Cramming started in the 1990s, when local phone companies began billing for independent content providers businesses — everything from daily horoscopes to adult chat. That made it possible for crammers to charge for services that were not requested or authorized.

Link to full article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39423196/ns/business-consumer_news/
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010