Need new night time routine, 1 year old and switching to milk

My daughter is now 1 and we are going to work on giving her milk instead of formula. I'm just worried about getting rid of her night time bottle. Normally she has a warm bottle of formula and I rock her while she drinks it. Then she falls asleep on my lap and I carry her to her crib. What is a new routine I can get into with giving her milk in a sippy cup? I would also like to get away from the bottles.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tricky question.... I'd ask your childs RN's, but here's my idea.... 3/4 formula 1/4 milk, for a couple days then 1/2 and 1/2 for a couple days and so on..... That way the flavor isn't as noticable. Why check with the RN? Too much iron can make you constipated... So mixing up formula and milk could be too much iron so ck with the RN. Do the sippy cup 1/4 of the day for 1st week. 1/2 2nd week. 3/4 3rd week. Last week it's all sippy cup. It might seem to be the Long way, but to me it's the most Gentle transition for You and Your Little One.
    emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would not give her a bottle or sippy at bed with anything but water. It can cause decay. Start slow with your routine. Like water in the bottle mixed with her milk then slowly add water till it is all water. But give her a sippy all day. Then when she is taking water at night give her the sippy at night too. Hope I explained that.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree with emily1230's suggestion on the transition to the whole milk. I would work on one thing at a time. If getting rid of bottles is more important, start will offering sippy cups during the day and once she gets it, work on the night time bottle.

Personally, I would first wean off of the formula then go to a sippy. the milk is less expensive than formula and I'm just cheap that way.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree with the 1st and 3rd answer, have you tried milk at all? some babies dont even have a problem switching from formula to milk. my little guy had to go straight from formula to milk because of digestive issues and he loved the taste.
    ajncjsmommy13

Answer by ajncjsmommy13 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010