Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

my brother is on child support but has not been able to pay due to not having a job. His childs mom came by asking my parents for money. Yet my brother is still in debt. what can we do?

Answer Question

Asked by sexy713cubana at 4:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Tell your parents to loan your brother the money and have him pay it like it's his child support. She shouldnt be going to your parents in the first place. Sounds like she's trying to get money any where she can get it.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • Hopefully your parents can help her out with some items for the child. Ask her what she needs and do some shopping. Your brother will eventually be criminally prosecuted if he continues to not pay so I suggest he looks for a job.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • well it just depends, if u really dont want your brother to get into any more debt then like ppl sd give your brother the money so he can pay the child support & it can show in the system, also i would ask her what the baby needs& buy her what the baby needs, my brothers ex always comes& asks us for money yet my nephew always wears the same clothes,

    Answer by gabby06 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • Tell your brother to try harder to find a job and offer to help out if the baby's mom is a good person. Hopefully the parents can help out if their son is struggling, but I would understand if they said it was not their problem. Real life is hard and everyone makes choices in life that they have to be responsible for. I hope he is successful in his job hunt. Is there a reason he is unemployed?

    Answer by moviemom22 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • He can go to court and try and have support changed. He will still owe what he already owes. He could go to jail. She may NEED the money and your family should do everything you can to help your brother get the money to pay support, both beause it's the right thing to do and to keep him out of jail. 


    Answer by Gailll at 4:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • my ex-In Laws help me out with my ex's and my children every once in a while because the ex refuses to find work. I cant get a cs order unless I can prove he works which totally sucks because he is fully capable just too lazy to try. My Dh supports the children 100% right now and to me as sweet as he may be it shouldn't be his full responsibility. Your brother may need to ask the court to reduce his cs while he is unemployed however they may not if he is receiving unemployment and if he is not they may require him to apply and either get approved or denied before changing the order. Good luck!


    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 5:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • He can go to court, otherwise its still going to add up.

    Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • I don't know what to do sorry--- I am single mother of two children, that do not recieve child support---this is an issue that will go on for at least 18 years, and if your family gives him the money he will never learn, he should have filed the day he lost his job for unemployment(which they take CS out of), as well as welfare(a pending welfare application by a noncustoidal parent, brings back the cs judgement back to court, and they usually change it) or filed with CS a loss of wages and they bring it back to court. And even if it takes 6 months to get in front of a judge it starts the day that paperwork is filed.

    That being said: What is the mother of the childs issue? I have two kids age 10 and 6 and would never never, ever ask their grandparents for a dime, or even ask to supply the child with anything, I would have gone hungry so my child could eat, sell myself on the street first!! That is her kid, not your parents.

    Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • He needs to find any job bc the longer he takes to pay the child support that is how much more he'll have to pay it's called BACKCHILDSUPPORT...tell your brother this is not going to go away. I wish him good luck.

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • Well my brother had gotten in trouble at 18yrs old so its hard to find a job for him. I dont want him to get locked up and his daughters mother came by asking my parents for money.

    Comment by sexy713cubana (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.