What is happening in Europe? First, Greece, now Ireland is in trouble.

Irish Crisis Shakes Europe
Dublin to Spend Billions More to Shore Up Lenders; Jitters Over Euro's Future
BY NEIL SHAH AND QUENTIN FOTTRELL
DUBLIN—Ireland scrambled to contain its financial crisis—and convince investors it won't need an emergency bailout by its European peers—by promising to pump billions more into its hardest-hit lenders.

The move, coming after efforts two years ago to rescue the troubled banks, underscores Ireland's new and unwanted status as the center of Europe's continuing financial turmoil. The convulsions in Dublin are adding to concerns that Ireland and other stricken nations may need to tap a rescue mechanism for euro-zone members that was cobbled together to save Greece this spring.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Why can't someone say that Europe, or each of the individual countries is crappy? They have a crappy financial mess. They have crappy politics that are working/gouging each other just like always. They have crappy people who are so well educated that they consider themselves too good to just get a job, even one that might bore them or get their hands dirty, so they just live on the dole and watch their country make that final swirly down into the sewer.

Europe does have a long history, some nice architecture, breathtaking landscapes, along with some great people who do the work of ten people and (after taxes) get paid less than a chimney sweep ... but none of those countries has gotten it right in hundreds of years. That's pretty crappy ... which is exactly what I think modeling the US after it would be. I'd prefer to see the US get back to doing things right rather than copy a crappy mess.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't think anyone can feign surprise at any announcement of financial trouble in any industrial nation, nor can any fellow American scoff at the demise of another country's economic structure. There are many factors going into what is happening in Europe, and our financial crisis is one of them.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 1:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Hell NO! We all agreed that the whole world is having financial problems. Nobody has it good. We all are suffering.

So,  is Ireland going to blame Bush for their housing market collapse?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Wasn't someone touting how great the European economy/government is and how the US should be more like Europe??   I could have sworn someone was saying this not too long ago...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Interesting that you speak of 'separate countries" now.. But there was a time when you generalized about "europe' when making comparisons to the US... Ok, I see... Now it is about different countries... Got it.. Thanks for Clarifying... ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Why can't someone say that Europe, or each of the individual countries is crappy? (Farmlady)
    Thank you. I get so tired of people saying we need to be "more like Europe" or "they do it in Europe". If Europe jumped off a building, does that mean we have to also? (you know what I mean) I may want to go see the sites in Europe, but I want to be in America, doing things the American way. Let Europe emulate us. They want enough of our money.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• the same thing that happened in the us. basically the housing collapse and now the fallout from that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Hrmmm, I wonder~ Is there an Irish Equivalent of Barney Frank crying that their government programs are 'fine' while in reality as they have been falling apart?? :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• *while in reality they have been falling apart...*
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• What is happening, is the effects of socialism. Let's do it, right?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010