I am on my last

day of breastfeeding and feel so sad but its time to stop & move on. My boy is 17 months old and he has been not too bad about it thank God! I am more upset about it, but I need to start taking a medication and have been putting it off & he is starting to bite more. He is a big boy and am happy I made it this long. Anyone going through something similar....he is my last baby and its hard to think I will never breastfeed again & feel that love & connection. Other things to look forward too now.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have to give you big kudos for breastfeeding for 17 months! Many women don't last that long for one reason or another-you gave your son a great start! I bf my son till he was 3 and it was bittersweet when I stopped. I think what you will miss most is the closeness and bonding that goes with nursing, so you should be sure to allow the time for this, lots of snuggles and love reading stories, etc...
    it will make the transition easier for both of you!
    drsally

Answer by drsally at 2:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Sounds like you're doing the right thing. I know it's hard but you'll get through it, Mom! I'm not going through that now, but I did eons ago when my guys were all that age. Give yourself a big hug and a pat on the back for a job well done!! : )
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 5:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Aw, it's bittersweet, isn't it?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Be proud of yourself that you breastfed that long. And you are absolutely right that there are other things to look forward to now. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We all go through that emotion and I know its tough, you little baby is growing up and you need to understand that, some thing you can look foward to: potty training, I wish you good luck! :)
    blessingmommy

Answer by blessingmommy at 7:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Good job mommy!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I remember the last time I bf my youngest baby... it was because I needed to start a med also. I think I nearly cried. It's a very emotional experience... knowing it's the last time.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 12:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2010