How can the kids keep their hands off my stuff?

Everytime I by myself something my kids act like it is thiers. Then they take it andnact like it is thiers. They even get mad when I take my thing back. The worst thing is that when i was young my mother stress on us buying our own. They get money and blow it on stupid things that i just can't understand. How will they ever learn to save and buy what they want.

dorotheabrown37

Asked by dorotheabrown37 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think this is just motherhood. I tell people who are not yet parents and ask me, "what is it really like to have kids?" --- "if you like time for yourself, sleep when you want it, and your own stuff, don't have kids."
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• What kind of stuff are you talking about? Soap? Shampoo? Toilet paper? This post makes you sound ridiculous.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son borrows my stuff all of the time and after a while i just start taking his things.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Kids seem to do that I think that's why some moms don't buy their selves much next time they get something do the same thing back to them they are doing to you might be childish but they might get the hint too. Teach them to buy things for theri selves and tell them mommy doesn't get things all the times you need to respect that and let me have what I bought for myself
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Leigh, your answer makes you sound like a bitch:) I'm sure she is not referring to things that they NEED.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, that's your opinion. At least I was woman enough to leave my answer without hiding behind the Anonymous name.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Institue a new approach to the money they get. They should be saving part of it so they learn the value of saving.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Leigh, I like to leave it anon just to bug women like you:) And obviously with all the down votes you received, I wasn't the only one that had that same opinion of you.  Try being a little nicer, it is women like you that make a lot of women want to leave Cafemom. This site is for moms to support other moms, not for some moms to take their bitchiness out on other moms... behind their computer screens no less. Sad.

Anonymous

• I'd just exp. what's yours is yours, what's theirs is theirs. If they continue to do it, start borrowing their things, esp. if it's girls, they sure won't like that for long. Whats good for the goose, is good for the gander. Good luck. Amen to Anon.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I ask my older kids all the time before I buy something for my self would you like this example. a cell phone that just come out. MY camara that I brought for business propose. Not small things all parents should provide soap.shampoo, conditioner, tissue paper, personal pads for the girls. It mostly my big ticket items that i ask them not to touch because either they had one before me and broke theirs or they just did not want to spend their money. Which is funny to me because at any given time my teanager have more money in their pocket then I have in my bank acct. difference between me and them is that i am not afraid to spend it on what I want.
    dorotheabrown37

Comment by dorotheabrown37 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2010