School

My son is 5, he'll be 6 in April. He'll start school next year. I can't decide if I'd rather have him in a public school or a private school. I know I still have a lot of time before I have to decided, but I'd like some input from other moms. What kind of school is your child in? Are you happy with the school? Why did you choose it? Is your child happy there? Was your child ever in a different school? Why did you change schools? Thanks, I really appreciate your comments :)

piscesmommy123

Asked by piscesmommy123 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm surprised he isn't in school this year. Jackson was 5 when he started Kindergarten(and didn't turn 6 until June). He goes to public school, private schools run in the thousands and have waiting lists around here
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I'd choose a private school if I had an option (around here) of putting mine into something else besides a Christian school. And well if it was something we could afford.

Weigh the pros and cons of each (of course I don't know what those are exactly) and decide from there. I would imagine the sooner you decide, the better, especially if a private school has a waiting list.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Mom2Jack04, I'm homeschooling him for kindergarten. He'll start next year in first grade.
    piscesmommy123

Comment by piscesmommy123 (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If I only considered one thing it would be class size. Whatever school had smaller classes is the one I would go for. Most schools have ratings online. For starts, check out the schools you are considering. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My youngest is 5 and in kindergarten. He goes to a private, religious (Jewish) school mostly because his siblings go there. It was the right choice for my older kids, especially the oldest. The class sizes are small - 20 kids, with a teacher plus and aide for the k-2 for each class. So far he is doing really well. I am hoping in the long run it is the right school for him as I don't want to have 1 in public and 2 in private.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I put them in public, and yes they have changed schools but only because we moved for my husband's job. I have loved both of their schools, and the schools played a HUGE role in where we moved to anyway. If it was a crappy school we would have kept looking and found somewhere else. I absolutely love the school they are in right now. It is an excellent school!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My dd is in connections academy, an online school. She loves it. I chose it due to the schools in the area being very bad.
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 2:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2010