How can I lower my cholesterol?

I was truly shocked when I was told that I have high cholesterol...mainly because I am 25 and my BMI is two points above "underweight". But I have always known that weight isn't the only factor in cholesterol levels.

I have researched ways to drop my cholesterol, but I want to know if there is anything you mamas know that will help me out. Thanks!!

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 5:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Health

• You need to cut back on Saturated Fats. Eat more Chicken! Less red meat. Use MonoUnsaturated fats (olive oil) for cooking (instead of butter) and Omega Fats are healthy. Increase your fiber intake and eat more "complex carbs" (whole wheats and grains) instead of "simple carbs" (sugar). I have high triglycerides and exercising regularly does help, but it's genetic so not a whole lot I can do. Hopefully by eating a healthy diet I can stay off meds - maybe you can too! Good luck!
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 5:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I had high cholesterol a few years back. I changed to a diet of low fat/fat free foods, lower calorie foods, that sort of thing. Lower sodium probably helps too. I know they say to cut out eggs, or at least the yolk, but to me the yolk is the best part! But anyway, I was able to lower my cholesterol significantly this way.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Low fat diet is what I do and I take a cholesteroff over the counter vit. I can't take the statins. Also if you take fish oil or omega3 it will help to lower your count......GL hon.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010