How can you teach a four year old?

My four year old son will not sit down long enough for me to teah him simple things like how to write his name. He would play before he we can teach.

dorotheabrown37

Asked by dorotheabrown37 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would take away distractions, and start small with maybe just 5 minutes a day, then build to 10 minutes, etc
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughter will be 4 soon and she is the same way. I have started teaching her write 1 letter at a time because she loses interest if we do more than that. I let her spell things out with the refrigerator magnets because that is playing in her mind and then i will ask her to write one of the letters that she has on the fridge.

foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Make it a game. Race him to see who can write their name the fastest. Get one of those dry erase boards, my kids love ours, and it helped quite a bit when it came to things like this. Also, if he just can't sit still, tell him that you are playing school, to get him ready for when he goes. Maybe even tell him that part of the game is to see how long he can sit still.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 5:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have actually started with simple things that my DD who is 2 now thinks are games to play. We have flash cards and I have turned plates into flash cards as well with numbers on them. If you can come up with creative ways to make it fun he may sit still longer.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• how is he with painting? get him to paint with his fingers.
    you could use shaving cream on the table. or paint/paper.

start slow. tell him your going to have sit down time or something (i wouldnt call it school though) and start with 4 minutes and keep moving the time up.... "lets sit here and read/ write/ color until the bell rings" (set a timer so he gets to listen for it) it will help since kids have no since of time.

I would start with something FUN that feels like playing while being still like crayons. painting/ play-doe (create letters with the doe.) keep it fun! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Try and make it fun, like what MommaTasha said!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 10:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Get creative! Throw flour or sand in a 9x13 and let him draw with his fingers. Use chalk on the sidewalk. Get the TaDoodles bath crayons and practice in the tub. Use bath foam as well. I like the dry erase board idea. My son doesn't like to SIT, but he does like to LEARN. Just not sitting. Praise him for every effort. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2010