Forced to be a Father

I tuned in to Dr. Phil yesterday and was pleased with his show topic. Though, I don't know that there will ever be a viable solution, I do agree that men are forced to be fathers in certain situations because they have no real say in whether or not the unintended conception will be kept or terminated. We, as women, have that choice. Men do not. It isn't right. However, what can you do?! As responsible mothers we need to teach our sons not to have sex with a person unless they want to have a child with said person. We need to, as a society, put a stop to unintended pregnancies. We have to kill it at the root, not just pluck the weed. There is so much to this topic and everything really depends on the situation.
What do you think? Are some men being forced to be fathers? Should fathers have a say in whether or not their bio offspring is born?

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 6:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel really bad for guys that are tricked into impregnanting women. It does happen, in fact one of my sisters in law poked holes in a condom.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Are these men forced to have sex? I don't think so. If a baby is born out of the situation then they should stand up and be a man.

Do they a "say" about whether or not their child should be born? Yes. They can "say" whatever they want, but we as women who carry their child don't have to listen to them.

Anonymous

• ... poked holes in condom... got it. lol, j/k... I saw bits and pieces of it while I was working. It does suck that some women can actually live with themselves by doing that... The last one was crazy when they tried to get the gold diggin' hussy to come on the show and she said she'd have to be paid like 5000 or something??? Crazy
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 6:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• babies should be able to live and woman shouldn't be able to kill them either. just my opinion though.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 6:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• anon 3:13, no these men are not forced to have sex, they are willing, as are the women...my point is that women have the choice to keep a pregnancy...men do not. women have the option to allow their flesh and blood to come into this world, men do not. Men are at the mercy of whatever the woman decides. Is that right?
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• KristaRene, that is fair. Either both should have the option to request abortion or there should be no option at all. The decision to bring a child into the world should be agreed upon by BOTH bio parents or the bio parent that doesn't want it should be allowed to give up all responsiblity.
    Anonymous

• Unless a man is raped, he is not forced to be a father.....he chose to have sex, knowing the potential risks. If he's that concerned about it, he can either abstain, or have a vasectomy! Please ladies, let's not give men any more reasons to be dead beat dads.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Some women feel forced into being moms because their belief system will not let them do otherwise. It goes both ways. If you don't want a baby.....don't have sex. Period.
    Anonymous

• Kimebs... the one I'm talking about had NO CLUE there was a child conceived until the little guy was 2 years old when mamma came to collect some $$$ That is unacceptable and in my opinion, he shouldn't need to be responsible in that case.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 6:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My husband got his ex pregnant when the condom broke. he didn't want it. She did. He is a good person so he took responsibility. He resents the fact that she had his kid. He interacts with and particpates in his son's life. He loves his son. He would take it all back and to this day wishes she had aborted it. He is not a dead beat, but is it really any better if he doesn't truly want his child. Someday his son will learn that he wasn't wanted, that he was unplanned. Sucks for everyone involved. Our children will never have to know that feeling. He chose me, he chose our children. And, trust me, it totally shows in how he looks at his kids differenlty and even treats them differently (though he may not even realize it).
    Anonymous