Do you have tricks to keep your kids warm on Halloween, without messing up their costume?

We just moved to northern VA from San Diego....so Halloween might be a bit chilly for us this year. Aside from bundling the kiddos up in big jackets, how could I keep them warm and still have them look cute in their costume?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 5:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I try to make the outft myself and accomodate for the temps.....like my son wants to be Mario and instead of spending $25 on the paper thin costume my son is wearing a thick warm res sweatshirt, jean overalls and a red hat.

Last year he was BuzzLightyear and I got cstume two sizes biggr so it fit over his warmer clothes. But it can be hit and miss, here in Buffalo we've had warm halloweens and even a few with snow flakes
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Have them wear turtlenecks/under armor and leggings/sweatpants.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughters Halloween costume has black tights to it but I'm going to use black pants. My sons costume is a warm costume, and I'll probably just put a coat on my daughter. I don't are if it doesn't clash with their costume. I rather then be warm then catch a cold.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I live in WI I buy the costumes so they are a bit big, and then I dress the kids in layers--- t shirt, sweat shirt, sweat pants and then costume over the top. Sometimes I will have them put a coat on over (and leave it open).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my son has been good about choosing costumes actually. he seems to always choose costumes that are warm and fuzzy..lol. if anything he will be crying to take it off before the night is over
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It depends on the outfit. I live indiana and it can get chilly in the evenings on halloween. Here is what I do. I have them wear pants with their outfits if a dress and also a long shirt under the outfit. I then sometimes just take a jacket along so when it does get darker they put them on cause really can't see outfits in the dark anyway. I say better warm than cold. Some people will even just drive their kids around so not out in the cold.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I live in Connecticut so its usually pretty cold on halloween. I put a matching sweatshirt and sweat pants or wool tights underneath DD's costume.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have to agree with shanlaree, I actually have put turtlenecks and leggings on my kids under their costumes....you can find them in variety colors at any store, does wonders at keeping your lil ones snug and warm but still giving them room to move and show off their cool new costumes lol.
    ajncjsmommy13

Answer by ajncjsmommy13 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Is the costume roomy? Maybe put a long sleeved shirt on and pants? I don't know really, it was warm here last Halloween so I didn't have to worry about it.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have always bought their costumes a little big and put a sweatsuit or sleeper under it. We live in KY, there is no telling what our weather will be like this year at halloween.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 5:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010