Huge guinea pig

At first I though she was pregnant then too much time passed. I adopted her from a shelter cause she was so huge and adorable. The thing eats like crazy. She is like the size of a house cat minus the long legs and long tail, no joke. She has this huge "turkey" neck going on and its huge too. I don't over feed her, but she is scared to death of a ball and won't exercise. I worry she might have a heart attack or something. Is that possible? What would you do for a humongous, overweight guinea pig?

goinginsane1

Asked by goinginsane1 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pets

• I would just love her. LOL See if the type of food she eats is not so healthy... Ask a vet if she has any underlying health problems for her to be so big... Otherwise, just love her.....
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I had a lot of gunnies there for a while and some are fatter then others.. do you have a photo of her? I love them. The females are friendly compared to the males..I would always pick a female one over a male if you want to hold them alot. the more you hold her the nicer they are..Some have nicer dispositions then others just like some people..HAHA!! i use to let mine on the floor and I also bag trained them. They went to the brown bag when they have to go poop.. They can be trained..Cute animals!!
    Deb1010

Answer by Deb1010 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i wish you had a pic. we have a male--we call him papa pig. he's so great! try takeing him out and letting him walk around on the floor. papa doesn't move too far,so we do this alot with ours. otherwise call a vet and ask them. enjoy her,they're so cool!
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• personally i wouldnt put a guinea pig in an excercise their backs are not made like other rodents, i have seen and heard of a guinea pigs back being broken due to an excericse wheel and ball. I have two guinea pigs they arepretty big the vet thought we should limit treats. well it didnt work one of guinea pigs caught a cold lost weight but his body frame was large, then he said ok these guinea pigs had to come from some where besides the U.S. after doing research we realized they are the size of the ones they eat in south america. after doing alot of research they did in fact come a city in Peru. we now joke about the fact if all else fails we can eat em for dinner.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:55 AM on Oct. 24, 2008