How many women have false positive results for down syndrome???

I'm 22 years old and pregnant with my first baby. I found out today the my risk of having a baby with down syndrome is 1/67. That is the average risk of a 42 year old. These results are from the blood screening. I have looked online at other peoples stories. And I know that everyone is different. I go for my second ultrasound and genetic counseling in a week. I know that I will most likely have the amniocentesis done just to make sure. It would be horrible to have to go through the rest of my pregnancy not knowing. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have 2 friends who's mothers were told that they would have down syndrome. not only don't they have down syndrome but they are two incredibly intelligent and successful women, both are 20 years old today
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I had a false positive with my 1st. At the ultrasound everything was fine turned out I was estimated 2wks to early so of course the blood test was positive! We did find out he was a boy though at 12 wks! Now he's 7yrs no down syndrome at all.
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• can the amnio test harm the baby at all? are there risk? i've heard talk about risk in those..i wouldnt do it unless my doctor absolutely suspected that my child may have it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My mother was told that there was 100% my brother would be born with down syndrome and spina bifida (SP?) he was born completely healthy and didnt have either problem
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• With my second, my doctor told me that my daughter was going to have Down Syndrome and guess what? She's 100% healthy!
    russianitk

Answer by russianitk at 6:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Hey girl! Dont worry!! Seriously.. I am 24 and 33 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me the same thing.. Actually I was 1/32 Be prepared to have lots of sonograms to check out the babies growth other then that. DONT DO ANY of the test they ask you if you want to do.. Its compeltely not worth it! ... Expect for the sonogram on the heart.. It will not harm the baby at all! The other test could actually kill your baby and your baby is more then likly perfectly fine! Of course its natural for us mommy's to worry. But, I promise your baby is going to be perfectly healthy. Message me if you have any questions because I am in your shoes right now! :)
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Hey, Don't do the amniocentesis ... Its so not worth it... There is a risk of killing the baby and the baby is more then likely perfectly fine! You will also have other sonograms done to determine if the baby is healthy or not. Almost 99 % of downsyndrome children have a heart defect.. You will have a heart sonogram done and downsyndrome children have a delay in there growth so you will have a growth test done by sonogram also ... If those two things come back good then you are gonna have a healty baby. Also, think about it like this... If your baby has downs are you going to abort? No, your still going to have your baby right? So don't risk it by doing the amniocetesis...Let me know if you have any questions!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If they think your baby has downs there are other ways to check for it like having a level 2 u/s done.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 7:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My cousin was told that her first baby would have down's and her dr strongly encouraged her to abort it. She was against abortion so she got a new dr and had the baby. He was perfectly fine- no down's!
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have had a positive with all my pregnancies and no family history on either side and decided to do the Amnio for all of them. I had an Amnio with my 1st at age 20 over 18 yrs ago and he was born full term and no downs syndrome. With my 2nd son I also had a positive test and I was only 22 at the time and about 18 weeks pregnant. I decided to do the Amnio, and baby and I were perfectly fine. I had this done 16 yrs ago. I am pregnant with my 3rd and also had the Amnio done again and everything went great. No problems whatsoever. I am 36 weeks pregnant and the baby has no signs of down syndrome or other defects. My 2nd was born with absolutely no problems and I had him full term and I am close to full term with this baby as well. The risks of an Amnio are so small and out weigh other risks of not finding out for sure if there maybe other problems. Just listen to your gut instinct and what you feel is fight for you and your baby.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2010