Does your 5 month old do this during bottle feeding.

My ds gets so hyper that he only wants to eat but a few ounces--then if he is too tired it is difficult feeding him. I don't have any problems with his cereal(unless he is super tired of course). He does get a good amount of food before going to bed but sometimes that last feeding can be as late as 1 am. He has been doing this more lately---this week actually. Today is the worst it's been since his growth spurt a couple weeks back---approx. Advice? Thanks.

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, my now 18 month old has always been like this...she LOVES to eat but sometimes it takes her for ever and a day, esp when she was bottle feeding, she didnt want to be held and cuddled with, she wanted to look around or be on the floor playing with her sister. It was really hard getting her to eat during that time. Then when she figured out how to sit up and hold her own bottle it got A LOT easier. :) Hang in there. Try feeding your baby in a less distracting environment, even though I know that doesn't always help either.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• What is happening is that he is more interested in what is going on around him than he is in his food. If you can make the times that you are feeding him less stimulating like turn off t.v or go into another room where it is quiet I'll bet that he will pay attention and eat a little more quickly.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yeah...definitely that is it:)
    Anything excites him though --even in the quiet lol. He has been excited by just about anything but the less distractions the better :)
    tickled_pink09

Comment by tickled_pink09 (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If I take him in his room there are things he will look at lol. He sleeps downstairs for now(cuz it's hot upstairs) so he knows his toys are down here.Today it's 3:33 pm and he has had only 7 oz. I just tried giving him cereal but he wanted to play and he lovessss his cereal. I know that I will be up until about 2 am for his last feeding. Dh was only able to get 4 oz out of him( I got some sleep this morning). I came down and was only able to get 3 oz down.....and he has been like this all day today. He get's exctied over ANYTHING!!! His bottle...he will scratch his bottle. When I hold his hands that makes him mad. These are just a few things that gets in the way of his feeding:(
    tickled_pink09

Comment by tickled_pink09 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• He just ate five oz yayyyy and then I gave him something "new" to do which made him super happy:) He is taking less naps now that he is older so that gives more time to feed during the day and I need to just let things be. I'm a new mom and I worry about everything lol. I am so new at it all.
    tickled_pink09

Comment by tickled_pink09 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010