What Can I Do About My 6 Year Old Niece

I Watch My 6 Year Old Niece Almost Everyday Of The Week And In Fact Live In The Same House As Her. My Mom And Step-Dad Have Temp. Gaurdianship until Her Mom Comes Home. She Is Extremely Disrespectful, Disregards Rules And Frankly Just Doesn't Give A Damn About Authority. My Step-Dad And I Have The Same Feelings On How Children Should Be Disciplined, But My Mom Thinks She Should Be Coddled And Can Do No Wrong. Knowing I Can't Change The Way My Mom Is...How Do I Make My Niece Understand That Her Behavior And Her Actions Are Extemely Uncalled For?

09YumaMommy2Be

Asked by 09YumaMommy2Be at 6:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• First of all, be understanding of why she may be acting that way....you are not her mother (only an excuse in the mind of a 6 yr old, but probably one she's thinking..) It's got to be difficult and confusing for her. You are not going to change her behavior totally unless there is consistency. what you can do, and I have to do this with my 9 yr old nephew is say "I can't control what you do with your mom (or in this case grandma) but with me, this is how you are going to behave" He knows that if he doesn't any fun activities that we've planned are immediately cancelled, and he will be doing chores as punishment until it's time for him to go home....
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• In order to change her behavior you need to get down to her level and think about how she must feel. Abandonment issues are very hard on a child. She has to feel very lonely. Befriend her and make activities for her. Take her shopping, making bracelets with her. Get some paints and let her paint, draw, play with play doe. When she isn't acting respectful remove her from the situation and distract her with an activity while you talk to her about why she shouldn't act like that. Let her know she'll get more with better behavior than with rotten behavior and until she's ready to appologize she can stay in her room. good luck. Hugs. Being young you can get to her more than an adult can just talk to her and let her know you understand.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2008