what if...

you opened an electric bill or phone bill and find that you dont owe a penny...

We recieved a bill and it said we were $ -179.00. I checked the bill over and over and found several credits for several company related over charges...like they refunded $12.97 for over charged taxes for the last three months, and so on...

What do you think could have happened for them to be refunding so much?

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 6:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• That happened earlier this year in Virginia. A court case said that they had overcharged for a period of time and made them reimburse.
    Also sometimes they do not read the meter and overcharge. When they come and read they find it out and have to reimburse the amount they mischarged you for. Count your blessings.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• errors on their part. I would call so it doesn't come and bite you in the ass
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• thats what I was thinking
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• happened once with me with our water bill. they just estimated our usage but then when they actually came out and measured they over estimated by 3 times the amount we actually used....
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 6:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I usually pay my utilities a year at a time, so I wouldn't even notice. But if I did, I would most likely call and double check just because I wouldn't want THAT to be the error and I end up paying 3X as much later on.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• so the company said they were informed by the year end auditors that they over taxed, over billed, and on some cases double billed their clients...she looked at our account and we were double billed for three months straight...

yeah no bill for three months!!!!
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010