What do I do for dry cracked nipples?

My baby is almost 3 months old. I am pretty sure that she is not latching on properly which has caused me to have dry cracks at the base of my nipples. Right now I am pumping and feeding her with a bottle. How do I get them to heal fast so I can continue to breastfeed?

SunFlower22

Asked by SunFlower22 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Use some Lansinoh Lanolin. You can get it at Target.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Rub a little breast milk on your nipples after each feeding and let it air dry. The milk actually helps heal them.
    Don't use soap, alcohol, lotions, or perfumes on the nipples. Bathing with clear water is all it takes to keep your breasts and nipples clean.

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 6:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Earth Mama Angel Baby makes something called Bosom Buddies... It's all organic and works like a charm! It's made to help heal and sooth nipples during nursing and you can even use it once you go back to nursing without fear of harming the baby any. Most places like Baby's R US carry it or you can get it online.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Try aloe vera...great for healing
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 6:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Thank you so much for the help.
    SunFlower22

Comment by SunFlower22 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• LANOLIN
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• rub a little milk on your nipple and let it dry, then lanolin. Don't use washable breast pads, they suck the moisture out of your skin. Try to let your breasts air out for 15-20 minutes twice a day. You can use thera shells, I have heard some excellent things about those. There are a few brands, I know Medela, Lanisoh and Avent all have them. Avoid soap on your breasts, or use your baby's bath soap if you need it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The advice about letting a little milk air dry on your nipples is really good advice. You can also rub a little bit of extra virgin olive oil on your nipples; it's very healing and soothing.
    ToddlerBrain82

Answer by ToddlerBrain82 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• By the way... try and get an appointment with an IBCLC to work on your baby's latch!
    ToddlerBrain82

• what helped me was my own breast milk.
    carla626

Answer by carla626 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010