How do I potty train my 20 month old boy

Jess987

Asked by Jess987 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• He probably isn't ready yet... Does he show any signs? If not, don't force the issue, it'll only back fire. My son just turned 2, and isn't showing ANY interest in it, so I'm leaving it alone for now.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I just finished potty training my 3 yrd old girl I nanny for, We really struggled with her. Try offering a reward, I used tattoo's as we didn't mind if they were on the skin. Limit drinks and use the potty all the time. We were having her go to the bathroom like every 15 minutes or so until she would go.... Also try acting dissapointed when they have an accident. try not to be hard on your self the average kid doesn't start potty training until 2yrs.
    Here are a few things that are helpful,
    Having a little potty to train with so that you can go with him in the bathroom or dad...
    rewards... stickers, tattoos or like dollar store prizes
    constant reminders and maybe a chart to track his accomplishments Lots and lots of praise!
    Amity F.

Answer by Amity F. at 7:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Just from personal experience, boys are sooo much easier to potty train then girls....if your little guy is showing signs that he wants to try the potty and you think he is ready then you'll have to work with him....leave his diapers off all the time, let him run around naked, take him to the potty frequently, if you have to throw a few cherios in the potty and tell him to sink them with his pee, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesnt. You will have to help him aim at first, or you could start him with sitting on the potty to pee. That is up to you.
    ajncjsmommy13

Answer by ajncjsmommy13 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my son is potty training. he's 22 months. we've been putting him on the potty for the last couple months. he's really into stickers on a chart. i don't reccomend candy. remember, you're trying to teach him it's something he should do, not for treats. he's not a dog. praise is good, and m&m is a treat. just my opinion.
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 8:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If he is showing interest and is able to hold his pee for an hour or so and is able to pull his pants up and down he may well be ready...my son was ready at that age. I talked to him about it went and bought him underwear and showed him how to use the toilet with a stool...he was eager and by 2 was completely out of diapers...night and day. He absolutely hated being messy!

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010