Has anyone ever done the rice diet?

My co- worker , a 30 year ICU nurse , said it was originally used for Patients with kidney failure. It is supposed to be very healthy for your kidneys as oposed to the Atkins diet.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• o god no.... i even think about rice and i gain weight! i count calories and that works for me.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I was doing the HCG diet, but im not a very motivated person apparently...it was working great, I was losing 2 pounds a day. its just super restrictive. I know nothing of the rice diet, but if it means just eating rice you might be better off doing the HCG diet instead.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The first thing my dr told me to not eat was rice and potatoes since they make you gain weight pretty fast. So i have no idea how there could be a diet based on rice.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 7:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It Began With a Simple Error
    The Rice Diet or Duke University Diet has been around for a long time. Walter Kempner, a researcher who was born in Germany and came to work at Duke University Department of Medicine in the 1930s, created it. When World War II started, the country needed his services as a doctor rather than as a researcher. He told one patient, a woman with very high blood pressure and kidney disease, to eat only rice and fruit for 2 weeks and return for a checkup. The woman misunderstood and ate only rice and fruit for 2 months. When she came back, her vital signs had improved dramatically, so Dr. Kempner started recommending the diet for obese patients who had hypertension, diabetes and heart disease.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/4266-need-rice-dietduke-university-diet/#ixzz119IFcMPE
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't think I would dare try it. Rice, even less refined brown rice, makes my blood sugar go up really high.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Seriously, I think it only works becaus you aren't eating many calories. Besides you aren't getting a variety of nutreients. I like the HCG diet, b/c you are eating a protien, and a carb, and getting lots of nutrients from all sorts of foods. Chicken, turkey, fish, lettus, cucumbers, radish, asparagus, celery, strawberrys, oranges, grapefruit, and some other things are all included in this diet. They just want you to take the drops, and restrict your diet to only the foods on the aproved list, no oils, butters, artifical flavors or colorings. I felt really good getting all that junk outta my system. Even if you dont take the drops, eating those things should help you lose weight.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• nope
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010