Mountain Top Removal

Do you know about this? If so, what are your feelings about it.

MaryWolfe

Asked by MaryWolfe at 7:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yes, i know about it.... it's a way of mining coal. i think that we should be putting more time and money into solar and wind technology and lessening our dependency on fossil fuels, but hey, that's just stating the obvious. we know politicians don't deal with common sense

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I know about it, and I am against it. But I don't know all the facts, data, and statistics for the benefits/risks...so I can't truly give a good answer.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 7:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I need to look into it more.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It is disgusting. I live on WV where this is mostly done. We have Mountaina  top removal site that is right above a elementary school. There is also a silo(holds 2.5 billions of sludge/debris from mountain top removal) right behind that school.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes, and it is a terrible practice.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Sounds awful... :( Obviously there is always an environmental impact from mining but there's at least one advantage, jobs...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I know about it, and I am against it. But I don't know all the facts, data, and statistics for the benefits/risks...

***

I'm sorry, but how can you be steadfast against something when you admit you don't know anything about it? Don;t you think you should look into the idea first, before condemning it?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I grew up in PA and traveled a lot through WV and VA. I hate what it does to the landscape and the ecosystems ~ but I would far rather see that than keep on feeding the ME or funding terrorists by purchasing ME oil.

What little heat we use at this point comes from wood burning. Our electric comes from a mix of coal and oil. I'm waiting for the day when we are completely solar (hopefully by next summer. Right now we do heat our water with only solar and that was the bulk of our bill.

The sad fact is that anyone living in a city or most towns are forever bound to ME oil, coal, and gas. There is no getting around it (just one more reason I don't like cities). Mining of any sort tears up the ground ~ although there are ways to do it without making it a permanent.disfigurement.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2010