If you had the training to be a Child Protection Worker would...

you pursue job opportunities in that field?

bookworm23

Asked by bookworm23 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• i would, because i wouldn't want to waste that degree, and i know i could help a lot of families. But, the other day I was in the DFS office, and i saw the most heartbreaking thing. A mom had to have her case worker call the police on her ex husband to protect her daughter. I expected a heartbroken baby girl, but when they walked in, that precious little blonde haired baby looked at everyone with a smile on her face, and i wanted to cry! I hate that kids have to see that and feel that pain.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I really couldn't handle that kind of work...
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• yes i would...my aunt does that kind of job and i think it is great...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 7:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I always wanted to do something like that but I honestly don't think I could handle it. I know I'd get way too emotionally attached and would want to take all the mistreated kids home with me or would end up doing or saying something that's out of line to a parent that treated their child badly. You just hear so many terrible stories about the way kids are treated and it's so disheartening that a parent would mistreat their own child. The system fails these children so often I know I would blow a gasket and end up hurting some jerk parents!!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 7:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I am going to school for social work, and I will not work for cps. I already have trouble sleeping at night knowing what people do to child never mind seeing certain situations and having to leave kids there (which happens a lot).
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• No! My sister works for CPS and it is one of the most heart-wrenching, dangerous jobs you can have. A psycho mother that was off her meds attacked my sister when she attempted to do an investigation. My sister was almost killed and was 6 months pregnant at the time. Thankfully she came-out alive and so did the baby (my now 4 year old niece). There are CPS workers assaulted and killed way too often and you rarely ever hear about it. It's very sad. I pray every night that my sister is kept safe. :o(
    foistela

Answer by foistela at 8:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Absolutely not. These people are nothing more than home grown terrorist and create stress on the family they have no right to do. For instance, we had one family who's air went out. The father worked and they struggled to make ends meet, but they managed. CPS found out about it and removed the children...snatching them up caused UNDUE TRAUMA. The father found a good lawyer to fight for him pro bono and they took on the cps. The investigation proved the children were well taken care of but one worker thought it was "too hot" and felt that was justifiable about taking (stealing) the kids. They ended up having to spend tons of money for the havoc they created and were reprimended by the state. All they had to do was donate 2 $15 fans instead of costing the state thousands of dollars over a worker's very inapt decision. Needless to say, the children were returned, yet they suffered so much. Only 5% of the children investigated
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• need to be removed. The rest of the families cps needs to leave along. Is it any wonder you have mama hens trying to protect their children from this evil?
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I knew a cps hater would pop up soon or a later!
    Anonymous

• I couldnt do it.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010