Child Protection Services...

as a career...does anyone out there know what it is really like? Where I live there are a number of jobs in this field and with my degree I am qualified...this just isn't the area of work I envisioned.

bookworm23

Asked by bookworm23 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's hard. My aunt is a litigations supervisor for DYFS(Division of youth and family services). I see how stressful she gets. I remember one day she came home crying because she lost a 9month old baby. The child had been raped. It gets to you. You cant always save everyone. And you need alot of patience because you cant pounce on parents and kick theyre asses like you would want to when you hear some of these stories. If you have it in you to do then I think you should, its a much needed profession.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't know from personal experience... but I have worked in an office/secretarial position. Going off what I picked up from that position I think CPS is a difficult and stressful, but possibly highly rewarding if you can help children. There was a lot of shocking/saddening info I dealt with (just through paperwork) which could take an emotional toll if you're sensitive. I hope someone else can give a more clear answer...good luck
    2rays0fsun

Answer by 2rays0fsun at 8:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have a friend who worked in DCF and it wasn't pleasent for her. She said she was always so stressed about everything and she would lose sleep and it was really hard on her. She ended up having to leave and get a job in a different field because she just couldn't watch those things everyday anymore. But if you think It's something you can handle then thats great... some children really do need the help.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• just to add, I think also caseworkers do a lot of local travel. there seem to be a lot of home visits, school visits, interviews etc. I guess you would need to be comfortable with that.
    2rays0fsun

Answer by 2rays0fsun at 8:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2010