School fundraisers..

do you let your children participate? How much of the work do they do themselves?

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You should not feel pressured into buying, most kids will bring back the coupon books. I finally got so frustrated by the fundraisers and the crap they had available, that I started donating actual cash to the PTA instead of buying the crap they were selling.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i used to never let my children participate...for one...i had too many next door nieghbor kids that went to the same school and had the same fundraiser so they couldnt go far without someone already saying "someone already offered with the same thing, thanks anyway." and second..the prizes are too cheap and not worth it and you have to have a lot of pple for the big prizes.

never benifited the kids.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my sons school only has one fundraiser a year and they don't even sell anything YAY I love it...they just ask for "sponsers" for a race...last year, we sponsered him, my parents, my inlaws and BIL/SIL- that is all- I'm not asking for money from anyone else
    CoolMommyofboys

Answer by CoolMommyofboys at 8:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son's school does not have fundraisers that the kids do themselves ie:selling stuff or going door to door. It is written into their charter. They do have a couple of yard sales which my son helps set up. Most of the fundraising is parent organized through the Scripts Program, Box Tops, uniform exchanges and school apparel sales.

When he was at a different school where they had the selling stuff fundraisers, he would call family members and that was it. No door to door sales or sales at work for our family.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Our elementary school only sold Sally Foster. We only sold to relatives.
    Our middle school only does one fundraiser and this year we didn't participate because they wouldn't pinpoint where the money was going.
    Our HS doesn't do a fundraiser - instead all the clubs and boosters do - so we have at least one a month with the marching band. We just had our annual BBQ and my daughter does participate selling to friends and family and then helping to serve and box the meals the day of.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My kids have been doing fundraising for many years, since preschool. At first we did them all faithfully, now that we have 3 kids in school doing fundraising we pick and choose which ones we want to do and then I have the kids call Auntie, Grandma, Grandpa and mil and ask if they would like to look at fundraiser stuff. I know the relatives get awful sick and tired of hearing the words 'fundraiser'- but they are good about looking thru the stuff and sometimes buying an item or 2.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We do as much as we can to help out. I do not allow my children to go door to door to sell there stuff. They only sell to the family that lives close by us.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Sometimes we participate, sometimes we don't. My kids don't sell anything, I do it. Either I will buy what I want and that's it, or I will take it to work. I don't like pressuring people to buy crap they don't want and I would never let my kids walk around the neighborhood.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• dont feel bad !! I have told the teachers straight out I dont do our pta fund raisers if you need somethig for your class let me know and i will go get it for you but i am not goign to spend 50 bucks so you can have 10 of it sorry .
    coreyhsmom

Answer by coreyhsmom at 12:01 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I work for the school system and I haven't let my children sell the stuff it's too expensive for one and I volunteer to help with everything else
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010