Potty Training a "strong-willed" boy!

Hey moms, we're not potty-training quite yet, but just wanted to get some advice from moms of other "strong-willed" "determined" little boys who do not like change :-). I'm definitely waiting until going in the potty is "his" idea/on his time, but what worked for you? I've heard letting him be naked in the house for 3 days, get him to sit on the potty at certain times during the day to "try" - suggestions??

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 8:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with the boy i took care of i told him that only babies wore diapers and that when he wanted to be a BIG BOY he had to learn to pee in the pottty like his older brothers. when he became a 'big boy' he would also get to do other big boy things like stay up a little later or get to do something he was told he could do when he was older.... with in 3 weeks of telling him this he was peeing in the potty training thing all by him self. i went with him and let him pick out his own underwear. he was so proud of himself. he told ever one at the store he was a big boy ha ha ha
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I let my son decide. This is what my son's dr told me to try. My dh and I backed off and one day right after he turned 3 years old he came to us and said, " I am ready to use the potty." 1 week later my son fully potty trained.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• This is what I did and my kids were trained in 3 days - I waited until they turned 3. Then go to the store with him and buy a lot of big boy underwear. Get all the characters that he loves. Wait until you have 3 full days to devote to this. Don't leave the house. The day before say "Tomorrow you will wear big boy underwear!!! Yay! We are so proud of you!!" The next morning put him in undies. Take him to the bathroom every half hour or so. Be very positive. Don't yell for accidents. He will have some. When he goes on the potty make a big fuss. You can put him in pull ups at night. That comes later. The next day should be much better. He will even be able to tell you when he has to go. But still take him every hour. The third day will be even better. My kids were trained by day 3. The important thing is to never go back to daytime diapers no matter what. Good luck!!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• When my son was about 2, we got him a potty and just left it sitting out. We encouraged him to play with it however he wanted - sometimes he sat on it, sometimes he put toys in it, sometimes he turned it upside down. We didn't push it farther than that, because he was (still is!) very strong willed, and we didn't want to start a power struggle over the potty. When he got to be about 2 1/2, we started encouraging him to sit on it to do his business, but we would just suggest it the one time. As he approached his third birthday, he told me he didn't want to wear diapers anymore. I told him that he needed to start using the potty for all of his business if he wanted to be out of diapers, and he said "Okay." He had some accidents, but he started wearing underwear instead of diapers that day! I think the most important thing is waiting until he shows you that he is ready. Good luck, mama.
    ToddlerBrain82

Answer by ToddlerBrain82 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2010