who gardens?

veggies.. that feed your family. either for now or later.

Hollea

Asked by Hollea at 8:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We had 11 tomato plants in our home garden this year. It was crazy! I've made something like 15 quarts each of salsa, pasta sauce and plain roasted canned tomatoes. We also had eggplant, asparagus, bell peppers, thai hot peppers, what we think is a caboocha squash, potatoes and tomatillos.

We also have a plot in a community garden at our synagogue. We had tomatoes, eggplant, strawberries, mini pumpkins and cantaloupe.

Next year I want to expand and grow more beans and squash. And we'll get better soil for our potato bins so we can get a better yield.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I did but now I don't now since I live in a tiny apt. =( but hopefully this summer!
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 8:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I do, I want to double the size for our garden next year, I crowded it this year, but still had great results with 3 kinds of tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, onions, zucchini, squash, beans, and ok results with lettuce, broccoli, peppers and brussels sprouts. I love it. Loved tending to it every day, loved that the kids got into it...sad that winter is coming!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I do. I had a baby the last week of may so my garden didn't get all the care it needed. My second stage of planting didn't get in the ground. But I did get tons of peppers, melons, herbs, cucumbers, and lettuces. My arugula escaped and is now covering about 20% of the yard. It smells like salad when DH mows the lawn.

I had canned a bunch of stuff for winter but then I got busy and didn't go to the grocery for 2 weeks and we ate most of the canned food.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I didn't this year because I was moving, but next year, it's on!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• ecodani.. i bet that smells wonderful! we are moving this coming week, so next year i'm doing a bigger garden. had a small veggie patch this year, but i want to can so much next year. i'm going heirloom and organic though. im trying to eliminate the negative from our diets.
    Hollea

Comment by Hollea (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have gardened, canned and frozen food for nearly 30 years it not only helps with the grocery bills but it also tastes better then anything you can get at the store. When you open up a can or your veggies or stuff for a home made stew there is nothing better then that. We have a huge garden inside our fence and then outside (we live on an acre) we have grape vines, strawberry patch, cherry trees
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i dont, but when i have my own place i will for sure
    RenoMama

Answer by RenoMama at 7:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We do! We have an extensive garden with all kinds of fruits and veggies. We vacuum seal what we cannot eat and freeze. We have a large horizontal freezer in our basement.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010