Why am I so offended by Christian Rock?

I was raised Christian, I am a Universalist now. Christian music just makes me mad. I don't know why, but I am truly offended by it. We are raising our children to be open minded Christians and my son loves Christian rock, but I can't stand it.

Any theories as to why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know. Hymns are beautiful, Christian rock is just loud and overbearing and self-righteous. Ugh.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I totally love comtemporary Christian music. And I'd prefer my kids to be taking in the words to those songs than the crap on popular stations. I also love hymns and love going to church when we sing both.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• maybe you're stuck in the 'traditionalist' mode when it comes to church music...?? i like quite a lot of the xtian music, except for the southern gospel..its too close to C/W, which i can't stand!!!!

i'm a rocker at heart, though..so xtian rock is where its at for me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Because "...all the really GOOD bands are affiliated with Satan." ~Bart Simpson
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• From an Agnostic's point of view (for what it's worth), that music makes my skin crawl because it's very unsettling to hear someone crooning about God or Jesus the way the way that Billy Joel sang about his "Uptown Girl" or Robert Palmer would sing about being "Addicted to Love" or Queen with "Fat-Bottomed Girls". . .
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Laura, I disagree 110% with your answer. If you find Contemporary Christian music offensive, don't listen too it.
    When you talk with girlfriends over coffee, you probably don't talk about Jesus with "Thee" and "Thou" flowing like honey from your lips. You probably use contemporary words. I really don't think modern worship music is any different. Musicians are often praying diligently over their music as it is created - I know a few. I agree with the above poster who answered that the hymns were modern in their day. The writer of Amazing Grace was a controversial abolishonist.

And the "unsaved" know many things about Christianity, more than many Christians do.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 9:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• what bothers you the most the music or the words?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• cause its obnoxious? thats how i feel about most Christian contemporary music...i just dont like it.

but like PPs said its either the words that bother you or that its rock music. are you okay w/ Christian gospel or pop?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Laura2U - absolutely nothing you said makes any sense to me. The only "good" Christian music is old hymns? Says who? People wrote those songs just as people wrote Christian rock songs.

Basically, what you're saying is "Guitar = Evil", no?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I see it that hymns are traditional where contemporary is just that. In older days hymns were the contemporary!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2010