38 weeks pregnant and baby measuring bigger then norma (worry :-( ) ?

Ok so I had a Prenatal app today and she measure my belly and told me that the baby was bigger then what it was supposed to be she send me in for a sonogram next week to check I had a vacuum delivery with my 1st son because he was too big so she don't want the samething to happen again.. So worry had anyone experience this you think she will schedule a c-section if the baby is to big???

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would like to hope she would schedule a C-Section. With this new info, I would tell your doctor your concerns and talk about a cesarean. That would be your best option. Dont be worried, you will figure something out dear. J
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 9:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It is only an estimate and it can be off by as much as 2 pounds, so keep that in the back of your mind. You don't have to consent to a C-Section if you don't want one. It's your body Momma, do what you would like.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• how big is bigger than normal? Usually if the baby is big the ob will induce you and get the baby out early to avoid csection. I'm sure there's a way, don't worry, even if it's csection it's very safe, just takes a little longer to heal
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• With your first, you were probably lying on your back to push, right? Or semi-sitting? That closes up the pelvis and makes it 30% smaller. Get upright to push your babies out and you'll likely be just fine.

Suspected large baby is NOT a reason to induce OR perform a c-section, according to ACOG (the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the dudes responsible for coming up with practice guidelines for OBs) unless they are measuring over 11 pounds on ultrasound. Just stand, squat, get on your hands and knees, kneel... any of those positions will open up your pelvis and help prevent the need for vacuum extraction. It's difficult, but sometimes possible to do those things even with an epidural. Talk to your doctor about it, and if they tell you they won't let you push in another position, RUN AWAY, they're a quack.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• sometimes with a large baby they will let you try and if the baby seems distressed or just wont come down theyll go ahead w a csection but if youre worried and tell them more than not they will go ahead and just schedule it
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If I had a dollar for every time a measurement was incorrect... Measurements are off all the time. Like one of the PPs said, they could be wrong by 2 pounds or more.

C-sections are major surgery. Talk with your doc about ways to avoid one, like changing positions for delivery, working with a doula, water birth... So many options.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• With my 1st, I had an ultrasound estimate say he was 9 lbs at 38 weeks...he was born (scheduled C-section) a week later weighing 8.5 lbs, so it was off by a whole pound.

With my 2nd, my fundal height measurement was 2-3 cm "ahead" for the last several weeks...she was born (VBAC, piece of cake) at 40 weeks weighing 8 lbs 3 oz.

Fundal height measurement means nothing; with my 2nd it went up 3-4 cm in one appointment just from my baby changing position. Ultrasound is likewise inaccurate, as many many people will tell you (I learned after mine were born that part of their calculation comes from head and stomach circumferences, both of which were big for my son, which is probably why they were so off). It's usually not a good reason to schedule a C-section; at least try vaginal first, especially if you want more kids down the road. It's a pain in the butt to find someone to do a VBAC, and C-sections are risky.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Proud mama of 2 over 9 pound babies, both delivered by C-section. First son was also 24 inches long and transverse breech. Second son was 22 and a half inches long and breech. I had good care and trusted my doctors and though the recovery was a little slower it wasn't unbearable! I wasn't a candidate for vbac with my 2nd son so I had to do c-section. I don't think you have a lot to worry about. You just want to do what is best for you and your baby to have a healthy and safe delivery.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I just want to say that I had really big babies, all vaginally, no problems, it can be done!!!! Mine were 10.2lbs, 9.15lbs, 9.12lbs (40wks) and 8lbs (37wks). Like the others already said, different positions really help. I delivered different all 4 times, on my side, leaning on the bed, semi-reclined....not coached (so no tearing/stitches either) it is possible :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 5:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2010