whats the best way to teach ur 4 yro the sounds of the alphabet ..?

he doesnt seem to have a good memory i teach him every day but in like an hour it seems to go away..

chulafromhtown

Asked by chulafromhtown at 9:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• check out zoo phonics...it is the program that my sons kindergarten class used but my dd was 2 1/2 and was working on it as well...I loved it Now that my DD is almost 4 I am going to start using it again and work on teaching her to read.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• letter of the day game is good. let him pick a letter and then all day when you find something that starts with that letter you bring it to his attention. that helps with the letters that have 2 different sounds too. that helps my son remember
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son watches the Sprout and Nick Jr, as well as me teaching him. The shows on Sprout and such are repetitive and it kind of drills the sounds, shapes and so on into their head. My son is almost 3 and almost knows his alphabet. And this is just in a few months! I would try that. Repetition is key. Just do the same things over and over... make it a game even. It makes it fun for them. =] Message me if you need any game tips
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 9:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• thanks for the advice ..
    chulafromhtown

Comment by chulafromhtown (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• maybe his brain isn't quite ready for that. just point things out, play, read, lots of exposure (games, songs, etc).... give him a few months ans try again.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Try starfall.com!
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 9:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• thanks i got his daycare teacher gettin him on dat
    chulafromhtown

Comment by chulafromhtown (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Get Leap Frog Dvd LETTER FACTORY....
    My dd learned them in a few days when she was 2-3
    Its a good "cartoon".. no stupid repeating... You will be able to watch it with him without going crazy -- which REALLY helps him learn.
    Example Letter A... They walk into the "A" room and the A's get scared by a "monster" and say Ahhh! then the prof. says "The a says Ah, the a says Ah.. every letter makes a sound the a says Ah" ...
    This is repeated in an entertaining way through the alphabet.
    (D is a drummer, T is a toe tapping dancer, P is popping popcorn -- i can give the whole alphabet! LOL I sing along!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Zoo phonics is great but super expensive. I use it at school and it works wonders, what it is, is a movement and a picture that goes with each sound (letter). Try making up a movement like making the shape of the letter with your body and saying the sound at the same time.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I didnt look up zoo phonics price until after I posted because I already have the flash cards and know the sounds/motions/and animal names from my son using them. But the leap frog dvd that the previous poster suggested sounds like a similar way of teaching I think it would be a good tool too :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2010