What's good to entertain a 4 yo on a plane cross country?

We are flying from Cali to Florida, and I am bringing the portable DVD player and MP3 player, but what else? She is pretty good, but will get restless and LOUD if she gets bored! She can be pretty mean, too, I try to keep her under control, but you know how the hard-headed ones can get, right? :) I don't want her to be a total nuisance.

MiasMama123

Asked by MiasMama123 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Travel

• I took more things than I thought I would need. We had snacks and drinks, we talked alot about what was going on, the plane, the hosts who bring the drinks and snacks, the pilot, where florida is. we had maps, new books and magazines. we used paper and crayons to work on letters and numbers. My 4yo slept for a while, it helped to have a familiar 'friend' - stuffed animal or blanket. we bought a sticker book in the airoport. i let her pick it out, i got the newspaper. i also let her pick out a small toy in the gift shop, sop that was super special and lept her happy for over an hour.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 6:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Bring her own cup, one with a lid that will not spill! Those stupid little ones they give you for your drinks are a disater with kids!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• GREAT idea, I didn't even think about a cup!!! Thank you!!!
    MiasMama123

Answer by MiasMama123 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Bring some crayon, coloring book, stories to read, and if you have a travel dvd player those are great. If this is your childs first flight she will be pretty entertained looking out the window. Take some snacks with you and some toys that travel well. If you take a special toy explain that it will go through an x-ray machine that usually makes kids nervous when they don't know it's gonna happen.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 7:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You can get a small pocketbook sized map and a pencil; when you fly over states or maybe a landmark that you might recognize, mark it off. Or, make your own list for her to play "I Spy" with: a passenger wearing a baseball cap; a pink skirt; a low mountain; puffy clouds.... that will keep her focused.
    Also, ask the Flight Attendants if they have treat bags; they usually give kids a goodie bag with a wings pin, crayons, a ticket holder, a deck of cards, etc.
    Have a fun and safe trip!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Bring a few items that are new and she hasn't seen or used before. The novelty adds interest and time exploring. Especially a new movie, if she loves it, she may want to watch it twice!
    heidiwork

Answer by heidiwork at 11:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2008