What is up with some parents?

So the other day I read about a mom kicking her kid out for dating someone she thought was too old for her 17 yo. (he was 22). Then today I read about a mom kicking her kid out at 16 for not getting a job!

18/19/30 those ages I could understand more, although I myself doubt I could ever kick my kid out, but under 18 and kicking your children out? And for such petty things? Am I the only one that thinks some people should be blaming themselves for their children's behavior rather than kicking them out???

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 9:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am pretty sure that it is illegal to do that before your children turn 18.

The saddest thing is that these parents do not see that they are failing their children. There should be better communication between them.

I want my children to feel like they can always come to me. They can always count on me and they know I will always be there for them. I may not always agree with their decisions but I will always talk to them about it and try to find middle ground.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I can't imagine that being legal and wonder how they do that? Don't the cops come and... I dunno... charge them or something? then the kids end up in foster care ....
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My mother locked me out of the house when I was 16 once and I walked my happy butt to a payphone and called the police on her. She didn't have any charges put against her but she had a stern talking to. She still swears to this day that she never locked me out of the house but my brothers saw her do it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• is that even legal?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It's illegal to kick your kids out before they're 18, so apparently you're not alone lol. I don't think it's necessarily always the parent's fault, though. You're right, though, those are petty things to end your relationship with your child over.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I know. Some parents are just sick. I saw a lady somewhere else that told her son to "never come back in his house until he changed his mind about being gay." Really? I don't think that is really something you can just "change your mind" about.
    And, I have an ex-friend who literally left her daughter at a frineds house and moved out of state. Then, to make matters worse, she told her daughter she would send so much money to her a month until the month she turned 17, and then she would cut her off completely. And the b***h did too! Now, the girl has been legally emancipated, has her GED and is working to make her own way. I just do not understand that thought processing AT ALL!!!!!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i totally agree with you. hate when some dumb people say to people to watch their mouth around their kids but then they think its ok to cuss because they are the parents. such a double standard. !!
    WendiWatson

Answer by WendiWatson at 9:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• That's insane! I could imagine doing something like that if the kid was an adult and they were doing something really bad, but not for reasons like that.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I was kicked out at 17. Not because I was pregnant but because I refused to babysit my younger siblings who didnt listen to me and I used to get in trouble for babysitting them. No matter how old my chilldren are they will know that if they need me, they can ALWAYS come to me.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Until your child turns eighteen, you're legally responsible for them. Kicking them out before that age, you could be charged with neglect. I feel sorry for those kids though, they should go to the police and tell them what happened, then they should report them to CPS.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2010