Getting nervous about my BF coming home from Iraq...

My BF and I met in Feb. of this year and started off as friends. Then he went back to Iraq and we have e-mailed more and more until we decided we want to be together when he gets home. I know he and I seem to get along well, I am more nervous about how he is going to cope with the amount of time and attention my son requires as he is only 15mo. Of course I will not make any sacrifices on my son's part b/c he is my son and part of "the package deal". The BF reassures me he will be fine and completely understands my priorities. I guess I'm just paranoid...what do you think...any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Relationships

• its normal to be scared. i've been married to my hubby for 2.5 years and we have a son and i'm 8 months preggo, and he is coming home from deployment in 2 weeks and i'm so nervous! some men are great with kids and just naturally are playful and fun with them. some guys take time to learn how to interact with kids so young. don't worry, just show him how you play with your son and he'll pick it up quickly :)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 6:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• It's good that you're thinking of your son first.... so many parents don't. All you can do is to see how it goes with the guy. He's learned how precious life is being over there if he didn't know it before he went... so he's prolly happy to see someone cares so much about their child.
    Good Luck
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• since my son was born I have not introduced him to anyone i have met. My son's father on the other hand has and I'm not thrilled with the idea. what if i introduce him to my son and things dont work out, I dont want to confuse my son any more than his dad already might have...
    Anonymous

• trust him. He knows what's what. It wil all work out.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Just take things slow. As much as you might have emailed, things are so different when you get to know each other in person. It sounds like he is willing to be patient and understanding about your son, so you should have no worries.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Go slow. Take your time, get to know him. You have to just relax and not put so much pressure on your self.
    This is the beginning of a relationship. Dating is getting to know one and other. Seems like simple advice. Take a breath. In out, in out, relax.

You have every right to be nervous. You told him your priorities. Keep being honest. Keep talking. You will do okay. Don't pretend to be an old married couple. Just get to know him.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008