How can I help my 15 yo son get over his first breakup?

My son just broke up with his first "girlfriend." I didn't even like her but I'm so angry at her for breaking his heart. Any advice?

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 9:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• WOW- i understand how you feel; i remember it like it was yesterday when that happened to my son- i think our Hearts Hurt just as much if not more than theirs! i don't think there is alot you can do for him except, just Be There for him & let him know he can come talk to you about how he is feeling anytime- i think the most important thing he needs is to know that you really feel for him & you understand- Alot of parents do not take a kids Broken Heart that Serious but, it doesn't matter if you are 15 or 95 the feeling of a Broken Heart is the same- as bad as we hate to see them go through it, it is just part of growing- up- He will work through it; he just needs some time to Heal- Wishing you both lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think just encouraging him that he's wonderful and that she's missing out, being there for him, and maybe splitting a pint of ice cream (that works for guys too, right?) would be really helpful in this situation! Telling him that he's young and there are many other girls/opportunities just seems like it's condescending to me.
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 9:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have been through this one with my son! He was heart broken. I felt so bad for him. I tried talking to him he was so depressed. I realized he just needed to be left alone. He eventually got over it and now he is in love again! This time around she is a much nicer girl! I wish you luck. I'm sure he will be just fine he just needs some time to get over it!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• awww, that is sad. I would just be there for him & give him big hugs. Knowing teens, he may have his eye on a new girl already. Hopefully!!!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• here is a bump for you!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Help him stay busy. Assure him that there will be more. It is important that kids do not have just one interest and meet and get to care about a number of different people of the opposite sex. That is what teen love is all about.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I know how you feel, we hurt right along with them, but just let him be, maybe just pamper him a bit, but there is basically not much you can do. Think of this as experience, of many of other heart break.

Answer by older at 3:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2010