5 month old eating.

My baby girl is almost exclusively on formula. We have been trying with cereals but she doesn't end up getting any, long story.
Anyway, at this point, its just formula. She eats 4 oz bottles every 3 hrs. She is gaining appropriate weight according to her doc, but I think otherwise. Because she sleeps 12-13 hrs per night, she ends up eating only 20 oz per day. I dont think this is enough. She will eat whatever I give her, so I am scared to try adding too much... Tonight instead of giving her 4 oz before bed, I gave her 7 (and she would have kept eating). She doesn't act overly hungry, but sometimes she acts hungry when she is done eating. How much should a 5 month old be eating, excluding cereal?

Please no breastfeeding comments. They are not helpful to me.

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 6:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check the formula websites for guidelines. I believe it was Enfamil that sent me a little chart I kept on the fridge. But you could also try every other bottle being bigger, like breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then in between can be "snacks" and less. And since you didn't say why she didn't get much cereal, if it was just hard for her to handle, keep trying and maybe try some stage 1 foods. Good luck to you!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• If you go on The site""babycenter" it will tell you how much a 5 month old should eat.....does she finsih her bottles and still keep sucking?if so you need to up her ounces....
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 6:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My daughter is 6 months and at 5 months she started eating 6 oz. Try to keep it an even number either 4, 6, or 8 that way it is easier. What type of formula is your daughter on? Mine is on soy and I have to add rice cereal so maybe if you add a scoop or two of rice cereal she will get more filled.
    momy41508

Answer by momy41508 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2008