Do you hold your baby when you feed him/her a bottle?

I have a 5 month old and my husband or I have held him for every bottle feeding since he was born? I didnt ever really think about until just recently because he now holds his bottle all by himself. I feel to guilty to set him in a chair and give him a bottle to feed himself. We still hold him but he holds the bottle.
My question is- What does everyone else do? Shold I feel guilty if I let him sit alone and eat(I would be in the same room)?

wood1980

Asked by wood1980 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You cant spoil your baby. Don't let anyone make you feel bad and tell you that you are. Its your baby. Hold your baby whenever you want to.

I BF but whenever I leave a pumped bottle for DH , he always holds her close in a similar position to nursing. It relaxes her a lot.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I always held my son to give a bottle. Even when he could hold it. I figure, he won't be doing this long, and if I would have kept up nursing I would still have to hold him...so..
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• 5 months is very young to not hold him..... Just think of it this way, we have a 14, 8 and 7 yr old, all boys, and I would give anything to hold them like that again... So hold him while you can, because one day they will either be too big, or just think it's weird for Mom or Dad to want to hold them at all...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• hold him!!! that is honestly one of my biggest regrets from when my daughter was a baby. i didnt hold her nearly as much as i should have. my excuse was because i was to hot..so i would sit on the couch, she would sit/lay beside me and i would hold her that way..but i wasnt really holding her, my arm was just around her..so yaa..hold him!!! cuz if you dont you will probably regret it, just like i do!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My question kinda made it seem like I dont want to hold him, that isnt the way I wanted it to sound. We love holding him for feeding, and I will continue to as long as he lets me. I know of some of my friends who prop their kids bottle all the time, and they act like it is a bother to hold their kids. Someone kinda made me feel like I was spoiling him by holding him.
    wood1980

Comment by wood1980 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I always held all my children even when they could hold their bottle I felt like they wouldn't need me to do so after a while and I wanted the bonding to last.I however didn't rock them just held them
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I'd say hold him. Even if he's haolding his own bottlehe could still sart to choke and would need your help to roll over and/or sit up. Even if you were in the same room, if he was oking without making much noise, you may not notice. Plus, as others have stated, holding a baby is such a joy. Enjoy it while you can!
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 11:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have propped in a restaurant, and while getting ready in the morning on occasion. Other than that, I mostly BF.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my ds is 13 months old and i still hold him and his bottle or sippy cup, i know he's the last baby i'll eer have and i want to enjoy it :P
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Oh hold him hold him hold him! I hate to see parents who think they have something better to do than nurture their baby. :) My son could but wouldn't hold his own bottle until he turned one. Right when we got rid of it. Now he is 2 and I still hold him while he drinks his sippy cup of milk. He calls it "snuggie buggie."
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2010