Pregnant after Tubal Ligation

I know of two women in the past 6 months that have gotten pregnant after having their tubes tied. I was thinking about having it done after this one, but I don't want to have a false sense of security. Just curious to see how common this is. PLEASE BUMP!!

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 10:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's really not that common, but it can happen. My aunt got pregnant after a tubal ligation... unfortunately it was ectopic and she had further surgery to remove it. Ask your doctor what procedure they are performing... cutting and cauterizing the tubes is more effective than simply clamping the tubes.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I bumped your question. Good luck finding answers!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think it is Very Rare for someone to get pregnant after having their Tubes-Tied- i had mine tied the day after my son was born in 88'- i never had any problems- if you are sure that's what you want to do i would go ahead with it- i think it was just a fluke thing with the two people you heard about- it is atleast 99% accurate- No Worries:)
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• According to an OB/GYN I know, this can happen "3 in 1000". I had one years ago, no problems.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My mom had hers lasered and no pregnancies for 23 yrs after
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't think it's very common but it can happen.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 10:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Nothing but completely removing reproductive organs or not having sex is 100%. My friends mom got pregnant 16 years after her tubal. It happens.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It happens but rare.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Thanks ladies. Just trying to figure out what is my best options are.
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My OB/GYN told me that when the procedure is done right after a delivery that it is more likely to become pregnant later on because the swelling from birth can effect the procedure. He told me that he would recomend that i wait until after my 6 week check up to schedule it so that the swelling and healing there is took care of first. This is suppose to make it more effective. Good Luck
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2010