How do you keep soup from turning into goulash?

I just made some macaroni, tomato, and beef soup except I haven't added the macaroni because I'm scared. Everytime I add the macaroni it absorbs quite a bit of the "juice". Are there any tricks on how to keep this from happening?

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Do you cook the mac before you put it in? If not maybe add more liquid than it calls for so there's still some juice left after the mac is cooked?
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Try pre-cooking the macaroni before you add it to the soup. Make sure you salt the water you cook it in so that the pasta has flavor.
    Mammoo

Answer by Mammoo at 10:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I always cook it first, but it still happens! .... I'll try the salt thanks!
    kaylan010

Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would add more water before adding the macaroni, bring back to a simmer, then add the macaroni and don't overcook. Try not to use too much macaroni.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 11:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Don't overcook it, use a small amount of macaroni, keep adding water.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• When I do this, I cook the macaroni separate and keep it on the side so that it doesn't absorb too much of the soup in the pot. Makes for better leftovers too.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Cook the noodles separate and just add them to each serving of soup when getting ready to eat. No chance of it over absorbing.
    CaraWarner

Answer by CaraWarner at 3:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Add ore liquid
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 1:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2010