My son is driving me nuts?

My son is 8 yrs old. I also have a 4 yr old they fight all the time, I do things with my 8 yr, and when he is at home he watches some tv, reads, play games and things like that, im not sure what other things we should be doing? And when I ask him to do things like get ready for bed, or put things away he gets angry,and I have to ask him again and again, his father isnt much help he yells and uses not nice lauguage. I understand he is 8, so Im not expecting competely perfect but something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Stop asking him again and again. Ask him twice, the third time there should be discipline. What ever you decide fits the situation. Tell him after the second time, "If I have to ask you again, there will be punishment" and make sure you do it. Everytime. Do not let him control the situation because that is what is happening. It will not get better in a day but if you are consistent everytime it will improve.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i think that may have to be my next route.. my son is only six and behaves the same. I tried explaining the natural benefit of rest, then the reward in just plain following the rules and bed time is bed time. I try not to give the situation a negative twist to avoid communication loss. Yet standing firm in your word and leading instead of demanding should produce a positive outcome.
    mariposalee

Answer by mariposalee at 10:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Be consistent with him. Do not tell him more than twice. He is in control right now and he knows it and is using it to his advantage. Tell him no more than twice and if he doesn't listen take things away that he likes. Like tv, toys, games, etc. Tell him he can't have it for a day or two and if does it again take it away for longer the next time. This will not change over night but it may take a few weeks if you are consistent.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 11:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I also do the 123 thing. It just sucks that I have to get to the 3 for my 8 year old to stop. She knows I will punish her, so why take it to 2 or 3.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes, consistency is the key & tell him to be respectful, you are not his little friend at school-you are MOMMY!!!!!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 11:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Your son is able to pick up after himself at 8 yrs old. I still have trouble with my 17 yr old. You need to talk to your husband about how he yells when he talks. Your son may be picking up on what his dad does, and is probably following in his footsteps. If you and your husband treat each other with respect, hopefully your son will do the same.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2010